Thread: Before I try and finish...

Wip Before I try and finish...

I just wanted to recieve some insight/suggestions on my choice of color, rivers, terrain, mountains, and a possible way of making smoother coastlines. This is already my 3rd version of Asthenum and I kinda want it to be the last. There are other fields of digital art I want to explore. The two remaining areas should be simple and easy to do. I'll try and explain some of the terrain. I included a black and white map to just show the landmass.

http://s616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/Samurai_Sushi/

The northern volcano is based off of Morrowind's Vvardenfell and is surrounded by ashlands, which is then surrounded by swamps. The idea for the surrounding water was that it was blighted by the volcano, which is why it's pretty dark. The surrounding mountains bear similar, albeit less volcanic terrain. The island chain was kinda based off of SE Asia and is pretty much just rainforest. The same goes for the huge peninsula, although I have something special in mind for the arm branching off of it. The west is a vast savanna, bordered by mountains. The south is a large Australian Outback/Arizona Desert type desert enclosed by badlands. The SW islands and peninsula are mostly grasslands and low hills. The SE corner is actually a lake that flows into the ocean and is fed by neighboring land's mountains. Oh and I don't really know how to explain this, but the weather/rain/wind/whatever brings life moves east. At least I think that's what would be needed to bring life to the land, save the desert. My main gripe is that the savanna and the rainforest seem like it would be to harsh of a transition in color. Thanks to Jazelf for his tutorials on making coastlines and rivers and Pasis for his mountains tutorial.
    Last edited by Samurai_Sushi; 05-13-2009 at 04:42 PM.

The greens and the water are probably a bit dark for my taste What is your scale in this map and could you post the pictures as thumbnails on the forum?

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree, the map needs more contrast. It's very hard to distinguish its features. There's also a river connecting two oceans in the South-Eastern corner. It should only flow into one, or you should probably make the connection into something more like a strait or channel.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    I agree, the map needs more contrast. It's very hard to distinguish its features. There's also a river connecting two oceans in the South-Eastern corner. It should only flow into one, or you should probably make the connection into something more like a strait or channel.
    Doesen't it say on the description that the SE-corner water is actually a lake? It should be a lot lighter in color to look like one though.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pickaboo View Post
    Doesen't it say on the description that the SE-corner water is actually a lake? It should be a lot lighter in color to look like one though.
    Right, missed that. Doesn't look like a lake either way.

I suggest you try some of the tutorials on this forum, they are really good and would give you some hand in making those waters better.

Hey sorry for not responding sooner and thanks for the advice. I played around with the colors a little. Does this look better? http://s616.photobucket.com/albums/t...mAltColors.jpg

Just click the picture to get maximum view. I tried to upload them to the forums but it wouldn't work. Thanks for the help.

There's still not a lot of contrast between the water and the rainforest. Keep in mind that blue and green are very close to one another, and if their values are similar, it's going to be difficult to tell the difference between them. Add to that the very strong texture on the water, and it's hard to see all those little islands.

I suggest you lighten the rainforest, and maybe desaturate it to keep it from becoming lime green, and find a way to tone down the water's texture. Maybe just give it a blur to smooth it out somewhat.

I wouldn't change the coastlines; they look quite nice in the b/w image. Very Grecian.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name