Thread: Cartographic Newb

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Cartographic Newb

Hello, I'm here, following a link from a small cartography discussion over at ConceptArt.org. Somebody recommended the Cartographer's guild, and I popped over to see the site.

I've been a map junkie for a good long time, drawing my own since I was about eight or nineish. I even have a cartographer for a hero in one of my as-yet-unpublished fantasy novellas.

I was actually inspired to write a small post in my art blog about my map fetish, and I posted links and small versions of a couple of wonderful maps I saw highlighted here. You can also see some photos of maps I've done there as well. (I have a lot more but they're mostly packed up at the moment.)

Anyway, I feel inspired by seeing some of the work here. Hopefully, I'll be able to tackle my own maps again--I'm wanting to do an extensive paintover. It's good to see so many other people who are interested in mapmaking. I can't think why it hadn't ever occured to me to see if there were groups for this sort of thing, but I'm glad to have stumbled on y'all.

EDITED TO ADD: As for personal style: I tend to like a mixture of the realistic and the illustrative.
    Last edited by PixelFish; 05-22-2009 at 09:42 PM.