Thread: Mercury X-9 Commercial Shuttle WIP

Wip Mercury X-9 Commercial Shuttle WIP

Here is my latest ship design. It is a commercial shuttle that would ferry customers from a planetary launch site to any orbiting moon bases or space stations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mercury-x9-middledeck.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	655.6 KB 
ID:	13737

The lower level will have storage and maintenance tunnels (this level is next on my drawing schedule). The mechanical areas on the wings have service hatches (the circles with the small crosses on them) that allow access for the maintenance crew.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Blog Entries

Always amazed at the rate you chug these maps out and how good they always are. Do you have designs for what the ship looks like before doing the plan of it or any intention to make the hull view after the designs ?

I usually work out the general layout on a scrap piece of paper with some notes of what goes where and then I just sit down and draw the ship. Sometimes things fall into place as I sketched it and other times, the ship sort of draws itself. I usually have background info to help me visualize the ship as well. As for drawings of the hull, I don't have any plans at the moment. I've tried to draw ship pictures before and they always turn out like crap. I should team up with an artist who can draw the ship's hull while I do the layouts.
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Blog Entries

I have tried to draw space ships in the past and they come out like crap too. I seem to have about 3 basic shapes and then they all look the same. I see some amazing art about. I wondered whether you got art from people and then were told to map it out as a commission.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

*Thumbs Up*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I have tried to draw space ships in the past and they come out like crap too. I seem to have about 3 basic shapes and then they all look the same. I see some amazing art about. I wondered whether you got art from people and then were told to map it out as a commission.
    As for the commissions, not yet but I'm always open to that possibility. Actually I've currently hit a dry spell with the commissions so that gives me more time to work on my portfolio.

Oh, and thanks for the thumbs up, SG.
    Cheers,
    Tim