Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: whats is your favorite published Map

Hey look! It's starfish isle from the Wilbur tutorials there on that hobbit map! (well, that's what the original concept was).

Hrm, tough question there. I suppose if I had to pick just one map, it would probably be Middle Earth (in various incarnations). But, on a whole, several maps have pushed me into my own map making;

The Land (Thomas Covenant Series by Stephan Donaldson)
    Pliocene Earth (Pliocene Exile series by Julian May)
    Mithgar Maps (Denis McKiernan)
    Early Shanara Maps (Terry Brooks)

And lest I forget . . .

My favorite city map of all time . . .

Sanctuary - Thieves Guild Books (edited by Robert Aspin)

Man, there are just so many of them that I can still picture in my head but can't remember where they came from. Even World of Greyhawk and Faerun maps have had their influence.

Like I said . . . Tough Question to answer.

GW
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 05-24-2009 at 11:17 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

My all time favorite published map appeared in the very last issue of Dungeon magazine. The world view of the Lands of Mystery, by Christopher West. That map was a work of art!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfate View Post
    many many years ago i read a series of choose your own adventure novels called Lone wolf. each novel had a map of a province of the continent of Magnamund. these maps wwere some of the best ive ever seen.
    Wow... this just took me right back. I read those books too (might even still have them in my parents' loft) and the Fighting Fantasy books.

I actually won a competition that was in the Lone Wolf books. I think it was in book 5 and you had to answer five questions, one from each book (but not in the correct order) and then complete the sentence...

"I like Lone Wolf books because..."

"... You're never alone with a Lone Wolf!" was my answer.

Won a ZX Spectrum 48k+

Ah... good times...

As to my favourite map then I'd have to go with the LOTR map. I remember reading the single volume paperback book (black with an image of mount doom on the front) when I was 13 and I'd spend ages studying the maps, flipping backwards and forwards as I was reading to make sure I was visualising it correctly.

EDIT: My word... I've just been to the wiki and seen that there were 28 Lone Wolf books published. :s I only had the first 7.

Oh... and you can download many of those books from here: http://www.projectaon.org/

Another series of "choose your own adventure" books that were awesome were the "Way of the Tiger" books. Man... they were fantastic. Hehe.
    Last edited by Ramah; 05-26-2009 at 02:03 PM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Professional Artist Christopher West's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krome View Post
    My all time favorite published map appeared in the very last issue of Dungeon magazine. The world view of the Lands of Mystery, by Christopher West. That map was a work of art!
    Thanks, Krome! I'm honored!

That map is up on my website now, by the way. First link in my fantasy map gallery:
    http://www.mapsofmastery.com/fantasy.html

For me, it's the map from 'The Wheel Of Time' I love its layout.
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

I'd love to do a little threadomancy to get this going again! I probably have a couple hundred maps saved in my inspiration folder, but a few in particular come to mind:

If I could pick one map and style that I wish I could do it would be something heavily stylized drawn-look like this one or a really lush fantasy feel like this. Obviously, I have cartoony-style envy.

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessEnthusiasm View Post
    I'd love to do a little threadomancy to get this going again! I probably have a couple hundred maps saved in my inspiration folder, but a few in particular come to mind:

... or a really lush fantasy feel like this. Obviously, I have cartoony-style envy.
    I'll stick my foot in the fire here...

That's a real nice picture, but I wouldn't call it a map, because it doesn't provide any information. Just one of my little pet peeves.

-Rob A>

WOW... that last find is just awesome RE. The guy what did that painterly elven city is just amazing IMHO...
    The map is something you can replicate(ie, I have confidence in ya!), it just takes a lot of practice and is much easier with a tablet...

EDIT: I agree with what RobA said though... the elven city is not a map.... just really cool art...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

BTW.. in his gallery is "map" of some tiles he did for a board game... very nice stuff there....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast