Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth Map Gallery\Competition Ideas

Post Youth Map Gallery\Competition Ideas

This was brought up in another thread but I think the budding young artist deserves protection from thread jacking .

The idea of a children's map challenge strikes me as a worthwhile event. It might be better done with a possible Email address - say 'youthmaps@cartographersguild.com' to work in conjunction with the normal forum entried. We could have a 2 month challenge with 'awards' every 2 weeks.

Adults might play a fairly large motivational\organizational role with something like this. They could enter them here or send them by email and we'd have a gallery everyone could view. Based on the entrees we could come up with categories - biggest world, most monsters, best colours etc.... Hopefully there would be a lot of good things we could say.

Assuming Arcana is hipped on the idea, it would be elegant if we could tie it to a day in the year... Ideas? and then give interested people a little warning. A lot of adults might want something to teach the children while they encourage them to map.

I have no idea how many children are within ear shot to participate. Anyone know?

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

And for bonus challenges...

A mouse's world in the walls of your house.
    From my room to the hidden cookie jar.
    Treasure.
    Avoid the bullies! A map of your school.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we go.
    Make a castle.
    Map the neighborhood.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

Sounds good, i just asked my daughter (she is 11) and she has already been bugging me about my maps, and how i do it, so she is in.

Your room is the battlefield between toy soldiers....

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    This was brought up in another thread but I think the budding young artist deserves protection from thread jacking .
    Yeah, I kind of thought of that, as I was jacking his thread!

Favorite fairy tale? Though I don't know if fairy tales are told to kids anymore - little red riding hood, 3 little bears, etc.

It all seems good though!

GP

PS: no kids myself, I've got nephews though! Got both of them to play with Campaign Cartographers and Fractal Mapper, and Dundjinni, so they know how to make maps too!
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-23-2009 at 05:00 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Kids still love 'em...

Excellent idea!

I have two nephews, ages 9 and 6, who might be very interested in this, with Uncle Jaerdaph's encouragement.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Sounds Good to Me!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Maybe have each kid make a 'Bridge to Terabithia' map of a fantasized world based on the surroundings of their house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast