Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More messin around

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

How's this look? I extended the scrub brush further out from the mtns and put some in along the rivers, then I added some more hills, a canyon, and some plateaus (that don't look all that good, might take those out).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	13600  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I like it very much! There seems to be a lot of sattelite like maps up at the guild lately

I really like the canyon, but not sure if it's in a natural place. It's probably a dried up river, so I would expect it to be near mountains or a river.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

There's a river running thru it, just can't really see it cuz of the shadowing. Anyways, more playin around, put in a volcano and swamp because every map needs these (kinda like freckles or moles). Gonna stop decorating now and start labeling.

Views:	59 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	13601  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

I think the transitions are a bit better now. Not so drastic.

Here's a full-size screenshot of what I have going on for labels. I'm not all that happy with the names so I'll probably change most of them with the help of squid.org. Fonts are Bolton Titling Bold and Fortunaschwein. Not that happy with Bolton either but I can't find a decent art nouveau font that is just a bit simpler and bolder than most of such style.

Views:	78 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	13631  

I like the major labels (countries?). They work with the texture of the map, and the way the emerge from the map itself is very effective.

Praise

These are insanely gorgeous maps!

Please post a Tutorial if you are able to afterward.

It would be very appreciated.

Phil.

Looking smooth. I like the font choices. Just worry about the legibility at the smallest size.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think the large font's look fantastic, not a big fan of the city name font - just doesn't seem to 'fit' with the map. I know you had something particular in mind, but I think a font somewhat similar to the larger one would work better.

Just my silly, little opinion.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I agree with the general opinion that the country labels look great, especially how they are extruded from the land. Great effect.

The rest of the map looks great too although some of the rivers are very faint, but I guess this is what you wanted.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast