Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More messin around

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Post More messin around

I was trying to implement the layered mountains technique, like Steel and Pasis do, into my atlas/satellite hybrid style and I think it came out pretty nice. I'd like to get some color tweaks and more contrast in before I call them done and I haven't put the rivers or labels in cuz I was just playin around again so I'll put them in over the next few days. I shrunk it down to half size to fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-5.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	13574  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ascension, that came out very nicely. I like the result quite a bit.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You're definitely on to something there my friend.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Beautiful map!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Yeah, good stuff.
    Is it me or is the water too cloudy though?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I totally agree G and have been trying to work on a fix but haven't found the right note yet.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Is there a tutorial on the layered mountain technique? I'd love to know more.

MSA - Pasis and Steel General both have tuts on it while I'm still experimenting with incorporating that technique into what I do.

Here's where I'm at and I think I'm pretty happy with it. Put in the rivers and a large amount of tweaks to just about everything. I might go in and add some shading to bring out the terrain a bit more but I think I'm ready to start labeling this puppy...after some I get some food in my belly and maybe bash some monsters in "Sacred" (gotta step away from the map for a while and then come back and see what I think of it).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-5.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	13595  

I wish I was as good at "fooling around" as you are. Sheesh.

Once again, really nice work!
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Very nice. I like that you included your palette in the second one. (I know you won't include it for the final map, but I like seeing things like that for reference, and also because it reinforces a sense of unity in the map colours.)

One thing I'm wondering about--and this is because I grew up in the Southwest--is the transition between desert and forested areas. I see that you have a sort of mountain barrier on three sides to the northish, and that can certainly predicate a big climate change over a geographic area. But where I grew up, there's a bit of transitional terrain....mountains, scrubby sagebrush covered foothills, possibly some rockier areas, desert with plants, and then desert with dunes and no plants. You have a bit more down by the peninsula, but from the zoomed out, it looks like either lush lands or desert with little middle ground. Is that deliberate?

Otherwise I think is a very pretty terrain map, and I enjoy seeing the evolution of your work.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast