I haven't been here in awhile so I'm not sure if this has come up here before, but I thought I'd point it out in case it hasn't.

Some of you might be familiar with the old Famous Artists Course; even though it was established back in the late 40's, even was a kid in the 70's I'd still see the "Draw this cartoon character and send it in to us to see if you're Famous Artists material!" in the back of comic books and such. Folks who actually DID sign up for the correspondence course were in for a real treat. The FAC was one of the finest all around collections of art instructional material ever produced. I managed to get my hands on a pretty cherry set of the 1967 edition of the manuals on eBay, and I have to say they were one of the best investments I've ever made.

Well, a couple of months ago over at the Comicrazys.com blog, they occasionally post material from the old FAC; I believe the edition they have is just a couple of years more current than the one I have. Awhile back they posted up the entire chapter on color theory, and it's pretty easily one of the best, most concise treatments of the subject I've ever seen. Seriously, I would have KILLED to have this back when I was in college.

If you're really serious about picking better colors for your maps and you haven't made a study of color theory or just want a quick refresher, I heartily recommend reading it.