Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cottage by A creek

Professional Artist

Very nice! I'd love to see how it looks with a grid placed over it, particularly if you could add it just to the ground layer and have it drop out at the rocks, house, thick shrubbery, etc... basically, anywhere you couldn't easily pass through on foot.
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games
    http://www.zombienirvana.com

i thought it was an aerial photograph until i zoomed in. nice!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Intersting, it looks like something out of baldurs gate I would as a small crit, try to differentiate between the water and the waters edge somehow, and maybe put a little damage on the roof of the cottage so that it looks less uniform and a little more worn. I was curious, is this all texture work?

Keep it up buddy, good stuff.
    ~Jared

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Really lovely map. I like it a lot. My only minor comments are that I'd expect a big more of a change in colour as the stream narrows as it's likely to be faster and thus choppier. As a result there would be a little more white water and eddies as the stream widens out again. The overall water highlights are lovely, but seem a little large in scale for the size of the map? The grass texture is very regularly iregular in the lighter patches, if that makes sense.

These are tiny comments and certainly no real criticism of what is a very pretty map indeed. I absolutely look forward to seeing more. Welcome to the Guild.

Guild Applicant

Can you share with us how you would go about creating that terrific creek and water? I'm using gimp and I'm floundering around using various tips from the Web, with mediocre results.

very nice, great job!

Blog Entries

This is an old map with a new question. I do a lot of texturing like this and I work from the ground up. You get textures and ensure they are seamless and fill a whole new layer with each level and then rub away each one in turn building it up. So start with some pebbles for the river bed and get that in. Then fill a whole layer of black, dark brown or dark blue then depending on how deep you think it is partially rub away with a spray can or whatever you use to erase the opacity of a layer and get the edges of the river almost transparent and the middle quite dark. Then get a new layer going and put it as calm surface water texture and do same then get some frothy water and do same leaving froth around the rocks in it or at places you want it rapid.

I use about three different types of river bed, two or three waters and about three frothy foamy water textures just to keep it all nice and random looking. Depends on how much effort you want to put into it really.

Same applies to the sea. I do a sand, a corel, seaweed, deep sea, surface sea, foamy beach surf, wet sand, two colors of dry sand, a sea weed and then it goes on up the beach with dune grass and then grass and so on. Eventually you hit snowy mountain top or even rain / snow itself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12