Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: watercolour style mapping

Post watercolour style mapping

well i'm at an impass with my city, seems a contribiter has obsconded with some of my survivors... while this is not a big deal, i am in the process of tacking down a mapping style, looking for something thats quick, but also good looking, with a handdrawn feel. this has made me try out a watercolour look, but i cant seem to get it right... any suggestions on the methods?
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

depends on what you are using.

If you are trying for the water color look on a computer I'm likely to be of very little help.

But if you are using brushes and pigments on paper then there I might be able to make some suggestions. As that is my favored media for map making.

There is just something cool about tactile maps.

The detail in experimenting with pigments and artificial aging, the folding and creasing if theye are desires. The staining and disintegrating corners.

The hand work in getting the details and the occasional happy accident.

Sorry I get a little carried away

haha! no worries, this is a mapping site so if we didnt get carried away with maps we'd have problems.

as for me i am looking to do this on a computer, so things will be a little different.

iGd give nothing more then to be able to play around but with one computer... my wife hogs it
    to her discredit she is a masters student and has not finished a major report that is due tomorrow... so i guess i'll let her have this one

updated the software, also in the process of hand drawing the city which i hope to put on the comp and make it my first attempt at a style

Professional Artist

Well, in Photoshop, you'd want to use one of the wet media brushes with the opacity turned way down - 10% or so to start off with, and play with it from there - and with the brush's blend mode set to Multiply.

Depending on what sort of watercolor style you're going for, you may or may not want some texture and "glow" from the paper showing through using the Displace filter and, if you really want to get into it, Apply Image. I've got how-to's for all of that in my podcast: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ZombieNirvana
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games
    http://www.zombienirvana.com

Are you able to find an image that shows the watercolour style you're after (be it a map or other?)

i've been looking, but its quite annoying to do on my phone. as of yet my comp is still in disposed. i did see some nice tuts while my wife was on a bathroom break... i'll see if i can get at them tomorrow...

but basically i am looking for a style that lets me be vague without ruining the overall look... big strokes means fast, but also helps hide my limited skill in artistry.

I was after something similar...this is what I ended up with (not quite watercolour, but that's just a few photoshop filters difference)... www.davidpiercey.com/maps/abebe ...hope it works on your phone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast