Thread: My shiny new tablet ...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Question My shiny new tablet ...

... moves if you look at it. Is there any way to turn the sensitivity on these things down a bit so that you have to be touching it for it to move? My hand's steady enough when it's in contact with something, but not in thin air.

Perhaps if you told us more about it? Make? Model?

The Wacom's have no hardware to adjust sensitivity that I can think of. If there is a way to modify the sensitivity it's probably in the driver or software. One thing might be to play with the dpi for the tablet. Check to see if you have the latest drivers.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Eek, yeah, that probably would be helpful.

It's a Wacom Bamboo, I downloaded the latest and greatest drivers, and no sensitivity options in the software.

Although .... the above problem can probably be scratched, since in GIMP it barely functions at all. I'm afraid I just wasted a bunch of money

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The older Wacom drivers came bundled with a configuration program where you could adjust things but the newer ones don't have the same config program anymore...much to my distress as well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

To be clear, the way the tablet is supposed to work is if you touch the stylus to the surface, that's a "click." To just move around and point at things, you hold the stylus a short distance above the surface. Think of it just like a pencil—you can point at something on your paper without making a mark, but if you put the lead down, you're going to actually do something.

If you were to change it so that the pointer only worked when it was in contact with the surface, you'd lose the ability to actually draw with it.

Unless you mean that it is actually registering a click before the tip reaches the surface, in which case that's strange and not the correct behavior.

As for your Gimp issue, tell us more about it. I don't use the Gimp, so I'll be no help, but plenty of other people here do and will be glad to assist you.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thanks for the input guys

I've been playing with it with different puters and programs here to figure out if it's my setup or the tablet. I'm starting to get the hang of the whole "hover" thing ... I guess I expected it to work like the touchpad on a laptop, where it doesn't move unless you're touching it, and then a sharper tap equals a click.

When I tried it with GIMP, it was doing a freeze-jump-freeze-jump deal, which totally kills the whole purpose. But, it seems to work fabulously on my new work pc, which has a lot more memory (and until just now, a more recent version of GIMP) than my home one. I tried installing the latest version of GIMP on the home pc (2.6 where I was using 2.2) and that didn't fix it, so I guess I'll just be using the work pc for mapping.

Phew that it wasn't the tablet itself but just a pc which apparently needs some upgrades, lol.

You might need to update your video drivers, too. It's amazing how much difference that can make, even when it shouldn't.

By "freeze-jump-freeze" do you mean when you lift the pen off of the tablet far enough and point to another part of the tablet, the pointer jumps to that part of the screen instead of traveling there like a mouse would?

That's supposed to happen. I'm not sure why, but thats considered a feature. when you lift up the mouse and drop it somewhere else, the pointer doesn't move. If you lift up the pen and bring it down somewhere else on the tablet, the cursor will jump to the pem's new location.

That is because the tablet's surface is mapped to the extents of the screen. That functionality can be changed in the software. On the Intuos, at any rate. If the controls for the Bamboo are similar, there should be three tabs in the Tablet Properties window, one of which says "Mapping." Change the Mode from "Pen" to "Mouse," and it will behave more like a mouse.

If you don't like working at the edges of the tablet area, or you want to conform a 4:3 tablet to 16:9 proportions, you can set the Tablet Area to "Portion" in order to limit the tablet's function to only a smaller rectangular portion of its surface. That does reduce the functional resolution of the device, though.