Thread: For Crippled Crow at the CBG.

Guild Journeyer

Post For Crippled Crow at the CBG.

Here is a map I have been working on for the past 24 hours for a memeber of the CBG Crippled Crow of his campaign setting. First is the draft i worked from and then a few different "finals". Full Colour, Grayscale, Parchment and Canvas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kherennem.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	382.3 KB 
ID:	13646   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kherennem2.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	13647   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kherennem3.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	13648   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kherennem4.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	13649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kherennem5.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	13650  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice work...

I think the only thing that "bugs" me is the size of the compass rose. If it were me I would reduce it as it tends to draw the eye away from the land features.

But since you are doing it for someone else, they may want it that way.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the grayscale one the most, but I think it needs more contrast. Some levels or curves tweaking and I think it could be a stunner. That hook of land at the top is cool, I've been staring at it for 5 minutes, looks really natural.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

very nice. Like Ascension, I like the B/W one the most, thought the color one is cool and I like the Sepia tone one(though, the canvas texture is way to overpowering and should be toned down to be just barely perceptible,.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

So if my curves where a different shape i would be a stunner Ascension? Yer lucky I am not a girl or I might be real offended, but i totally get what your saying. I want to make a "printer-friendly" version of my map style and its between the pure greyscale and the sepia tone one, i done like the texture of either of the last two. Both need some "curves pushed" tho. On it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Oh man that totally nailed me, I'm an idiot sometimes. I was tellin my sister about Serena Williams' badonka-donk earlier today (had the French Open on at work -- my tv, my choice) and I still let this one go by...probably why I'm still single. Cheers, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

Ok I played with my curves and here is my "enhanced B&W" I dunno if it looks better or not I cant really tell anymore...

I have also learned if doing a B&W map, rivers need to be a much brighter blue...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kherennem91.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	13700  

Very nice! Naturally that refers to both the original maps and the follow up map.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Guild Journeyer

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I will most likely be offline for a few days - to a week untill my computer is fixed. I can still pop in on my Ophone ("other brand" ) or the Orphan... anyways so yea no mapping untill i get one of my computers fixed. Thanks for the comments, and praise from you guys means a lot to someone who wants to start taking this stuff seriously. And is the new version B/W accually look noticably better... i honestly cant tell, i just havent developed the eye to judge it and was just messing with the curves untill different ranges looked the way i wanted. I had no prior clue as to what i was doing. Did it accually help?