Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Map

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Much better, but you don't have to paste it directly into the post. You can actually add it as an attachment under the 'Advanced' settings (I went ahead and did this for you). That way it uses the built-in previewer of the board software.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Lovely map and a terrific style.

I'm not struck on your font choice though for the large labels, it looks a little too comic strip to really fit in in my opinion.
    As Feralspirit said too, you seem to have quite a few river problems in there.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Feralspirit View Post
    ...snip The map is rep-worthy by itself, what software did you use?

I have spotted a few river errors. Can you still adjust the rivers?
    Software is Photoshop CS.

Re the rivers - Oh yes! If there's one thing I've learnt with PS is bung everything on a seperate layer if you can

Plenty of tweaking left to do but thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad I found this site

Thanks Steel General for sorting the attachment out too.

Quote Originally Posted by landorl View Post
    I would hate to visit that larger continent though, between the "Cursed Lands", "The Dead Lands", and "The Darklands", it doesn't sound all that hospitable!
    Imagine having to work for their tourist agency *shudders*
    Anyway, thanks for the larger version. Very nice map, it has a nice fantasy feel to it.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Nice map I would think that the nice humans are not the largest population group in this realm I can imagine that there be cities of dragonborn and undead etc as the names for regions suggest. I get immediate campaign hooks and ideas of that place, great inspirational and artistic value for me personally

Quote Originally Posted by pickaboo View Post
    Nice map I would think that the nice humans are not the largest population group in this realm I can imagine that there be cities of dragonborn and undead etc as the names for regions suggest. I get immediate campaign hooks and ideas of that place, great inspirational and artistic value for me personally
    Thanks for those kind words. My brain is buzzing with all kinds of ideas that I want to include but I'm conscious of the fact that I'm spending too much time on the map at this early stage of the campaign. We only started a few weeks ago with level 1 chars. What I intend to do is develop the map along with the storyline so that will hopefully give me the luxury of planning ahead. However, saying that if I can have 'placeholders' already there in front of me I hope that will make things that bit easier when it comes to developing that particular area, both pictorally and in the plot.

This is a first for me, not just the cartography but being a DM. Heck I only started playing the D&D RPG (that includes any version but I'm playing 4e) last November and haven't played a character past level 1 in any campaign yet, because the games fold for various reasons That's why I decided to have a go myself but I never realised both what fun it is and how much of a time sink it can be - if you let it

Just to clarify my opening post, this is my first *world* map. I have created several dungeon and outdoor encounter maps before (I have just posted one for the first level of the keep from Keep on the Shadowfell in the dungeons section) so this I am finding both exciting and a challenge.
    Last edited by arcanus; 05-27-2009 at 05:13 PM.

The rivers are the only thing I would change, it is otherwise (IMO) a beautiful map. (Edit- Ok, I'm not so fond of your political borders either, and there aren't any cities...)

A River will not naturally split into two smaller rivers that then both run to sea. You seem to have several that do just that. For example, look at the river near the last 't' in Giant Summit. The worst offender, of course, is NE of Dragon Mountains. The one in T'aleth is pretty bad. Nentir Vale River is perfect (assuming the forest is obscuring its last jaunt to the sea). Ok, there's my .02. Cheers.
    Last edited by Feralspirit; 05-27-2009 at 10:32 PM.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12