Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Map

Wip First Map

After several games bit the dust soon after starting I decided to take the bull by the horns and DM my own. Not being one to do things by halves I decided to create a map after having viewed some tremendous work here and elsewhere. Here is my WIP although location names and text styles are likely to change. The map is set to be used with D&D 4e with the Nentir Vale (as per the DMG) being the start point. It was created in Photoshop CS.

Any and all critique is welcome as I'm new to this and looking to improve my skills. Thanks all

An impessive first map. Obviously you are no stranger to this craft. Welcome to The Guild, and for posting a map with your first post, consider yourself repped. The map is rep-worthy by itself, what software did you use?

I have spotted a few river errors. Can you still adjust the rivers?
    Last edited by Feralspirit; 05-27-2009 at 08:05 AM.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Quite effective and nice, good colors as well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Nice map, have some rep.
    Do you have a larger version or is this it? Some of the details are hard to see.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Good stuff... I'll echo Gandwarf in hoping for a larger/higher resolution version.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks all As regards size this is half size to keep the filesize down I'll post a link to the full size one soon

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You can probably post the full-size version - depending on pixel count and file size.

The boards will handle up to around a 4.5MB png or a pixel depth of around 33million
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very pretty indeed. Welcome.

Ok this one should show the details better.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firstmap.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	661.9 KB 
ID:	13688  
    Last edited by Steel General; 05-27-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Re-uploaded the image to use the pre-viewer

I would love to see a larger version also, but great map!

The only comment is that the light blue around the Sea of Storms jumps out at me just a little too much. It is just a little too strong of a contrast.

I would hate to visit that larger continent though, between the "Cursed Lands", "The Dead Lands", and "The Darklands", it doesn't sound all that hospitable!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast