Thread: My world

Guild Applicant

Wip My world

This is a rough outline of the world I have in mind for the story I've been working on for quite some time now. I initially decided to map it out because I had been stuck with severe writers' block for the last few months and felt that if I had a clearer picture of what my world looks like, I would be better able to overcome said block. I have to say that it's been working so far, as I have had quite a few good ideas in the last few weeks of rough doodling, trying to get the continents how I want them. I don't have access to a tablet, and drawing with a mouse has never worked well for me, so this was initially a pen sketch that I scanned in. The attached pictures are just rough sketches that I have been playing around with in MSPaint. I have a better scan that I'm working on at home, but I couldn't wait til I got home to play around with it

Attached are just a basic coastline sketch, with the region I plan on focusing on first blocked out, as well as a very rough first attempt at figuring out mountains, rivers, forests, etc.

As it stands I am fairly satisfied with the eastern landmasses, not so much with the western continents. As I am focusing mostly in the east for now, I'm not too worried, unless I start feeling really ambitious, and decide to flesh out the whole world at once

Right now I am trying to decide what style map I would like to do. Since this is a fantasy novel, I think that a more artistic style would suit, rather than a more atlas style.

Any C&C, feedback, what-have-you, much more than welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world1.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	13733   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	climate1.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	13735  
    Last edited by Al-Iksandar; 05-28-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Just one comment...looks pretty good. So I'll just watch as you flesh it out.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Another one to put in the 'keep an eye on' file.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.