Thread: Newbie and his maps

Wip Newbie and his maps

Hello,

Just got back into the rpg stuff and decided to make some maps using CC3. Here are the first two I have done on my world called Greyon. One is an overview in black and white and the other is a map of an island in color. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Dan Stueber
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Land of Greyon.JPG 
Views:	655 
Size:	323.8 KB 
ID:	13692   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Isle of the Seers.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	13693  

I like both of those maps but I think I like the style of the B&W one more. I'm not sure about the red writing on the B&W map but that might just be me. Welcome to Cartographer's Guild and have some rep.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Welcome to the Guild! Some good first maps!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Yeah nice maps, although I would like to see them at a bigger size, so I can make out more details.

I agree with Turgenev that the red text in that black & white map is not the best of choices. I always though that red text was cool, but as someone on this forum told me it tends to bleed into the terrain.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks for the kind words. I will look at changing the red color on the black and white map, however since I am just learning how to use CC3 I don't really know how to change all the words at once. I did notice on the color picture the letters in the words are kinda too close to each other. I will work at changing that too.

Here is the black and white map at higher resolution.

Name:	The Land of Greyon 2.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	13694  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm really not much of a CC3 fan (not your fault, it's the default icons they package) so I like the b&w one as well. I'd change the text to black and then make the mountains and trees and such a dark gray. Looks pretty good, though, so keep at it...once you get the hang of sheet effects things will really blossom. Oh and welcome to the guild, you'll find that we're all here to help each other.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Here is another part of the world made using CC3. I made some mistakes on this one that I have not been able to fix yet. I forgot what type of font I was using and switched in the middle of making the map. Also, the coast line and rivers need to be outlined better. One last thing, I don't know why the mountains are sticking out past the border like that. I will have to delete them and see if I can replace them on the map.

Name:	Malkieri and the Wastes of Narn.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	13776  
    Last edited by booboo130; 05-30-2009 at 07:36 AM.

That's a nice map. You are using lots of different symbols, but in a coherent way. The layout of the land is great. It looks like an area to have a lot of fun in
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks Gandwerf. I am trying to put some good ideas into the maps I am making. Also, I plan on going back through the ones I have made a correcting some mistakes.