Ravi and I were chatting the other day and we thought it would be fun to be able to play RPGs via the forums in the CWBP. It was suggested that we might be able to have many groups running amok spread all over the area and I suggested that it would be possible to keep track of the maps and maybe serve up the maps on the forums by request. Then I thought that what might be better is serving them us via your browser. So I have been implementing a web server into ViewingDale to you guys can get at the CWBP maps dynamically. Now I don't know how to do interiors and underground as well as you cant click through the jump points on the map but one thing at a time eh ?

It works just great on the desktop between two machines but thats always easy. I have used a proxy, tried it on some out of same building machines, and a few people here have had a play from my PMs. Mostly its been great and some people have had a few problems but I have made some changes to it since.

The URL is quite complex. It has an X, Y, Z and S. The X & Y are in meters from some arbitrary point bottom left. The Z is zoom or scale where a big number is zoomed out a long way. The optional S is the image size to serve up.

So... START HERE

which should be the cart in Fentor Cross, Thrubmorton, Ansium and manually change the Z and maybe X&Y if you feel like it.

There is no scripts or log in or anything its running right out of my desktop machine. It can note the IP address and User Agent (I.E / Firefox) etc and the map coords but does not track anything other than the normal web page stuff you dish out to every other web server.

If your able then it would be cool if you could reply in this thread with whether it worked or not and whether you think its a good idea to serve these maps and also whether you think it would be good to play RPG by chat/forum posts/other in the CWBP.

Also, if anyone has a windows based always on web server that they just happen to have running and might be able to host with a more 'always on' experience than I might be able to do then that would be appreciated. I'll be running this for at least a few hours from now but then its likely to be off. Hope it stays up for at least a few hours tho

Enjoy.