Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop Basics

Info Photoshop Basics

This is an online course that takes you through the basics of using PhotoShop. The pages are very 'busy'. Meaning there are a lot of links and text, so you may need to take a moment to get comfortable with layout.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pho.../bllps5out.htm
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

Post As per request

RPMiller, in another thread you asked for a list of tutorials that would strengthen your Photoshop skills. I highly recommend the tutorials by Deke McClelland at lynda.com.

While the tutorials are not free, there is the option to subscribe to the site to get the tutorials on a monthly basis. I pay 25$ per month to access the tutorials. A very good value in my books. I could not recommend them more.

In particular, the best series is here:

https://movielibrary.lynda.com/authors/author/?aid=98

Second best is the videos here:

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/m...ng.asp?pid=183

Hope that helps,

Sandeman

Indeed! Thank you very much.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Sandeman, I wanted to say that I took your advice and I got the Layers and Masks training from Deke. That man is AWESOME!!! I learned so much I'm still trying to get it all figured out. I love his training style and his vast knowledge seems to have no end. Thank you again for the recommendation and I'm definitely going to get more of his stuff.

Oh, and have some rep!

Guild Journeyer

I got my Photoshop instruction in school, however I learned more from the free (ad supported) tutorials available at www.tutorialized.com. If you see a specific trick and want to figure out how to do it, odds are that it's detailled there.

Yea, I got all my basic instruction in school as well. I then learned a ton over the years from tutorials and others that used PhotoShop semi professionally. The biggest problem I face is that I don't use it constantly and the basic instruction I took was rocky at best so I've been having to shore up my foundational understanding quite a bit while trying to learn more advanced stuff.

Guild Journeyer

Well, I like to think I have a pretty fair handle on it. So if anyone wants me to write a tutorial for something specific, feel free to drop me a line.

I have been tinkering with a list to cover some of the topics I see mentioned here. But working on my own projects as well as other less enjoyable responsibilities has but me in a time crunch.

Plus I don't know if anyone wants to hear my rants about how I make selections (usally Color Range and Marquee tools, not the wand) or the "Non-Destructive Editing" rant.

The Channels and Masks training I mentioned above taught me all about selecting using channels and doing non-destructive editing. If you can relay that information, I definitely think you should. I'm amazed that I ever got by without knowing how to do that stuff.

I especially enjoyed learning how the various selection tools really work and which ones are best for different scenarios. Awesome stuff. Just that training video alone was enough to make me feel more confident and more like an intermediate to advanced user. So again, please feel free to create a new thread and rant away.

Ummm, GlennZilla---if you're offering, I for one would love to see you do tutorials on anything and everything PS related. I'm totally self-taught (usually by trial & error), so anything you'd like to do would be much appreciated.

I'm with RP that Channels would be cool to know (masks I have a decent handle on, but still...). I do almost nothing with them. I also almost never use the pen/paths options, so if you could show that it would be cool too.

If you do decide to make tutorials (please please please), then it would be great to see it used on a map, of course, so we can see the application in action as users of this site would most likely find important and applicable. Just an idea.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Guild Journeyer

Well, the channels will require a little research. I don't mess with them as much as I could for our applications here. But I'll work up a few posts on The pen tool/paths you mention as well as Masks and Non-Destructive Editing which I think would be helpful.

But I have to get through the holidays with my 20 month old daughter first.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast