Thread: Kingdom of Shaelia

Wip Kingdom of Shaelia

Hey everyone,

Here is a work in progress that is currently my obsession. This is just the basic topographic layout of the Kingdom of Shaelia and surrounding area. Shaelia proper is about 81,000 sq. miles in area with a population of just over 6 million. The map is 100% hand drawn -- started with a blank white 3000x3000 pixel box and this is what I have put into to

The time period/approximate technology level is roughly equivalent to that of Tudor England (1480-1500 A.D.). This is to be the setting of a novel I am working on.

Again, this is just the basic, WIP map. No borders, no towns, no roads, no text at all. It is no where near finished (as you already know). Some rivers don't end, some of the topography isn't completed. I basically just wanted to show it off because I am very proud of it. The top altitude range would be somewhere in the 8000+ foot range. The darkest green is 0-250 feet above sea level.

The Coat of Arms above the distance scale in the bottom right corner of the map is the official CoA of the Shaelic Monarchy.

I will be updating the map in this thread in the coming days and weeks as I add more and more detail and get things completed.

Here is the link to the map (3000x3000 pixels), if you should want to examine it a little closer:
    Kingdom of Shaelia - WIP

Thanks and take care, everyone!

Scott
    ~ Shaelic ~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shaelia.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	13701  
    Last edited by Shaelic; 05-27-2009 at 09:47 PM.

This map is huge, easy to get lost in, . Your rivers need just a little attention (esp top left corner, your river splits for 30-40 miles, and then rejoins).

That Coat of Arms is very nice. Fancy, a beautiful touch.

What software are you using for this?

A good start, waiting to see more.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great start! Looking forward to seeing it develop.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Feralspirit View Post
    This map is huge, easy to get lost in, . Your rivers need just a little attention (esp top left corner, your river splits for 30-40 miles, and then rejoins).

That Coat of Arms is very nice. Fancy, a beautiful touch.

What software are you using for this?

A good start, waiting to see more.
    Thanks for the kind words, Feralspirit.

The river split is intentional. Those are two valleys, which make up the border between Shaelia (to the east) and the Kellani (to the west). Those valleys are important to both sides for different reasons.

To answer your question, I am using Paint Shop Pro 7.34 and my own time and patience I am contemplating a move to the Abode Side (Photoshop/Illustrator), but I just lost my job and that has moved to the backburner for the moment. The "up side" is that I have plenty of free time now to work on my setting, map, and novel

The Coat of Arms is an original creation that has gone through about a million versions and alterations.

Take care.

Scott
    ~ Shaelic ~
    Last edited by Shaelic; 05-28-2009 at 10:52 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

If the cost of software is a concern you might consider GIMP (Free), it can do nearly anything Photoshop can do, many guild members here use it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very intricate river systems... impressive that you had the patience to hand draw all this (on 3000x3000 none the less)