Thread: Yakuza Niteclub

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Yakuza Niteclub

Working on this for my Kaidan setting module: the Gift, a niteclub/gambling hall and brothel called the Dragon Club, is operated by the Yakuza.

The Pit is a martial arts fighting arena, note the tatami mat floor. The mats are removed during dog fighting. A judges table sits to the south of the pit.

The rooms to the west are reserved for private parties, business meetings and courtesan activity (notice the floor futon and pillows for that.)

The raised floor to the north is the dining/card playing/sake serving tables, a bar sits on the north end.

Rather than the usual tavern or inn, I thought a yakuza niteclub might prove something useful and different. This could very well be used in a modern setting as well, with just a traditional layout.

Enjoy!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dragon-club.jpg 
Views:	589 
Size:	756.0 KB 
ID:	13710  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

It seems that the place has only one entrance, one that leads directly to the main hall. For a seedy organization that probably has to watch out for competitors and other threats, this seems problematic. What would happen if, say, a group of armed thugs sent by a rival yakuza group were to attack the place? If they make it through the door, they can just flood right into the room that offers the most space to fight in. If the owners are unable to contain the attack right then and there, they'll be driven back to the smaller rooms, where they'll be divided and trapped, unless they can escape through windows or something.

It would make more sense to place the primary entrance on either end of that north-south corridor, which should also have walls on it's eastern side to separate it from the fighting pit hall and the bar room. That way unwelcome guests could be easily held back just by a couple of bouncers, buying time for other yakuza members in the club. There should also be some alternative exits available for emergency escapes or when someone needs to sneak out of the place unnoticed.

Post Added some doors, but...

I added a back door by the bar, a trap door behind the bar and a hidden door in the upper left private party room behind the paper screen west wall. But I can't seem to upload any images today (the attachment manager is adding a ":" colon at the end of all images uploaded, then erroring with a invalid image file error.)

However, one point, this is the Yakuza district commanders private club and all Yakuza gangs on the large island this is located fall under his jurisdiction. I don't see a rival gang ever entering this place - so that really isn't an issue.

Regarding the interior layout, it is based on an actual Yakuza club, so though arguably it might be better to add in more walls and such. Why? This is based on an actual location with same interior layout.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

I am having trouble determining elevation. Are there four levels each open to the one(s) below it?(lowest to highest):

Pit
    Main Level (with door out)
    The table/serving Deck
    The party halls

If so, I would suggest putting rails like you have around the pit on the main level. If not, is there a better way to indicate walls?

Cool btw... I like how the "mats" don't line up which is really good detail when they are movable like this(I thought it was a mistake until I reread the notes).
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post yes

JFj, yes, you named the four levels lowest highest on your list. Perhaps I could add hand-rails to heighten the difference - I don't want to use walls though.

I mentioned an issue uploading images using the Attachment Manager, can anybody address this. I can't load up new images.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dragon-club.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	767.6 KB 
ID:	13740  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-28-2009 at 07:36 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I don't see a rival gang ever entering this place - so that really isn't an issue.
    Well, if its not one thing its another. Upstart gangs, lawmen, vigilantes... all a constant nuisance to a hard working yakuza gang. I'm sure you've seen enough westerns/samurai movies to set the scene. The backdoor was safe and responsible addition!