Thread: Online Museum of Reconstructions

Post Online Museum of Reconstructions

http://www.reconstructions.org

This is a cool site with 3d reconstructions of some archeological sites.

Its pretty and evocative. Good for stretching your world view a bit.

Sigurd

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Cool. Wish there was some way to pan-n-zoom.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

The models are really nice but the texturing leaves quite a bit to be desired. Pity, it could so nearly have been really stunning! Very intersting concept nonetheless, I hope the site keeps going and they keep adding to it.

Blog Entries

I know many of you are aware of this one but here is the Parthenon reconstruction from Debevec and crew. I thought the film was slightly disappointing given the abilities of what they could have done with it. Its still a good short tho.

http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Films/Parthenon/

Now THAT's what I call texturing! It would have been lovely to have seen the whole of it kitted out as of old though....guess we could give back the Parthenon marbles and it could be done for real....nah!

Blog Entries

I liked the link Sigurd, but the PoV on the Acropolis was somewhat annoying. If I were an ant, I would probably be accustomed to that perspective, but alas I am human.

I agree on the textures. Very weak considering the sheer amount of effort that has to have been invested in the research and CAD work to create their exhibits.

I agree with everyone's criticisms of the site. I just found the site and have no affiliation with it.

It could be better but at least its there. I notice everyone who had criticisms didn't have their _own_ website doing it better????

Here's a free museum hoping to show visitors something they base in history. There's plenty of room for improvement. I'd love to see them tie back to sketchup for example. Still I like the idea of the site. I like the thought of virtual reality making the rest of the world, even the theoretical, more accessible. The project goal seems really encouraging. I think our destructive race will eventually corrupt or destroy all our cultural icons - I like to think we'll have a digital record for all time.

I hope people have enjoyed the link.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd