Thread: puzzle maps?

Guild Apprentice

Post puzzle maps?

I'm a big admirer of maps in general, but as a gamer I also have a specific interest in maps related to puzzles.

As mentioned previously, I'm not a very talented artist so I don't attempt some of my crazier ideas often.

As a game master, I love the idea of challenges that get the players to think outside the box. An easy way to think of this are visual puzzle challenges, and I can think of four different types, though there may be others.

1) a map with various elements (such as cut out images/props) that can be manipulated to solve a puzzle. For example - a dungeon with a diagram on the floor and three statues that need to be moved to the right place to unlock the puzzle. (or mirrors that need to be pointed in the right directions, etc) Easy to use in gaming.

2) a map, like an old treasure map, that is actually folded or manipulated to reveal a solution to a puzzle. (for an example, consider the map used in the movie Romancing the Stone)

3) a map that isn't a traditional map. Perhaps it is four boxes that need to be lined up in the correct order with the correct side facing up to reveal a map. Sort of a variation on the above, but open to other versions: If you watched the movie "Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End" you can look at the circle map they used to solve the riddle to get back upright as another example. (twisting the circles changed the numbers/words)

4) a map that is plain, but there is also another piece of art that works as a "key" that solves the riddle of the map. The easiest example of this type of map is the one Indiana Jones uses in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when he determines where to dig to find the Ark of the Covenant.

The reason I bring this up is that I'm curious if folks have done these styles of maps before? I am new to this forum, so I don't know what may have been presented previously.

Cheers,

Richard

Blog Entries

April last year we had a challenge to make a puzzle map.

Click on the names to each of these map thumbnails in turn. Some of the threads have spoilers in them so be careful if your interested in solving some of them. Not all of them are solvable in a sensible way but there were one or two really great ones.

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/Ch...gers_Apr08.htm

Guild Apprentice

hey thanks! A couple of those gave me some ideas...

A globe drawn on an icosahedral version of Rubik's Cube?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogic
    My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/