Thread: My first map done in DD3- Any Comments?

Post My first map done in DD3- Any Comments?

This is the first map I've done in DD3. It's very simple, but I'm still learning the program. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tower Boss Room.PNG 
Views:	154 
Size:	324.0 KB 
ID:	13736  

Just one comment...if you have an element that's meant to be flush to the ground (like I think the pentacle is) don't use a drop shadow on it, or it makes it look like it's floating above the ground a bit. Other than that, it's a great start. Try introducing some spooky lighting effects into the map to give it a bit of menace next!

Can't have pentacles without spooky!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good. I would expect to see an altar or table with candles on it, maybe some sort of throne-like chair, that sort of set decoration stuff. Good stuff though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the ideas. I'll add an altar and (try) to remove the shadows around the pentagram. The shadows were added by the effect from the Cartographer's Annual 2008. The Battle Grid one. I'm not sure how to change the shadow. Or the lighting.

As for the lighting, try using gradient filled shapes which have a lot of feather around the edges or where the fill is to transparent (not sure how DD3 handles this tho, someone like Jaerdalph or Neon who use CC a lot should come here and give you more help)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anubite View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I'll add an altar and (try) to remove the shadows around the pentagram. The shadows were added by the effect from the Cartographer's Annual 2008. The Battle Grid one. I'm not sure how to change the shadow. Or the lighting.
    DD3 has lighting in the sheet effects. You add lights through a menu option, giving direction and strength etc. When you turn on the effects and add in lighting, the only light sources will be from where you've added the lights.

To lose the drop shadow, you need to move the pentacle symbol to a sheet without the shadow effect.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

When doing the effects and what not, you will notice that there are sheets labeled SYMBOLS and SYMBOLS FLAT. SYMBOLS is great for things like Table, Book, Chairs, or any other object that has Height. As to SYMBOLS FLAT this is good for things like Magic circles, carpets, sheets of paper, thin books, or any other thing that would be relatively flat to the floor.

As to the grid, my preference (and it's mine, so don;t worry if you don't feel the same), is I like the grid to represent actual flagstones on the floor. So I make the grid lines 0.1 in width, and give them a Bevel effect to make them appear to be separate. I also put my grid much lower in the drawing (higher on the sheet list), so that the grid is below the symbols.

Otherwise, good work.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave