Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Roleplaying in the CWBP.

Blog Entries

Ok ill set something up in the next few days - prob later in the coming week and see if I can get something up and running. Probably another forum similar to this but with members vetted and not advertised. I was hoping that I might be able to twitter the commentary so that the public interface is more a listing of the fixed history instead of the blow by blow posts, but maybe there will be a blow by blow twitter and a fixed history twitter, blog or something I dunno not having tried it. I'll DM a bit then and see how it goes. It will be D&D based but instead of rolling for every perceived skill thing it will have to be more woolly and taken on trust a bit. We can discuss the actual mechanics. We can try for some VTT time if we all feel like it or just stick with the posts. I expect ill host a number of images and maybe get a map server running for some of the time but not all unless I can find a way of getting it always on.

In terms of character sheets I think a wiki is the right way to do it. Since the characters are in the CWBP then maybe we could use that area for stuff which isn't likely to constantly change. I.e. put max HP in there but have current HP locally or on some more dynamic page. We could go for a full bung D&D 3e or 4e character but just not use most of it in game but use the stats as a means to guide decisions and keep balance to it.

As I don't have a twitter account, I'd certainly hope you refrain from using it. I realize I'm probably one of three people left in the civilized world without one, but...

I couldn't promise any VTT time, as I never know when I'll be online or not, but I should be able to post often enough to satisfy a solid pbp game.

I'll also put together a short and sweet 4e adventure to run either after or concurrent with yours--I really think that's the best way to expand the world, to play in it and make it home. Will you be starting in your area of the Thrubmorten Fens?

Would I need a twitter account? Character sheet on wiki? Both of those are going to be a challenge for me, but maybe my 15 yr old can help me a bit. As I mentioned previously I am completely unfamiliar with DnD Editions 3, 3.5 or 4. If there are similarities to 2nd Ed I can probably figure it out. Nail down which you desire to use and I'll go hunting for a character sheet. If I can find a character sheet with a few sample characters I'll be able to muddle my way through.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I think that, in order to keep the play flowing, a trimmed down version of the character sheet would be recommended. Regardless of the system that is being used, not every thing on that sheet will be useful in a play by post game. (understand that I have never played on, but am just stating an uninformed opinion) With actions being determined by the GM as to how well the actions are performed, instead of dice rolling, only general ability ratings are required. Do the stats and stuff, but then add statements as to what level the character is at for various skill groups: "Vatan is a 5th level fighter with a lot of experience living off the sea. His stats are blah blah blah, and he is very good at handling boats, surviving on the sea (fishing, finding his direction on the sea)
    and can swim quite well. He is only learning to ride, and has no real clue how to deal with people who do not deal with boats in some way." As an example.

Anyhoot gotta go. back later
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

What's twitter? NM, if it's like facebook then I don't have any of that junk either. Who cares when I'm sleeping other than me?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-...-Office-Chair/ is the best use of twitter I've ever seen (and perhaps the best illustration of the true power of this technology).

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    With actions being determined by the GM as to how well the actions are performed, instead of dice rolling, only general ability ratings are required. Do the stats and stuff, but then add statements as to what level the character is at for various skill groups:
    That's essentially the basis of the Fudge game system, which was designed with play-by-post in mind. http://www.fudgerpg.com/fudge.html

A trait is given a descriptor word rather than a number. So instead of saying "I have Broadsword: 5," you'd say "I am a Great swordsman." It solves the problem of sorting out whether or not 5 is good, and it allows the mechanics to be expressed in the narrative without disrupting it too much.

It does require a bit more front-end work by the GM, though, since it includes no world information (monster stats, etc).
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

Back from being away for a bit... I have never used Twitter as really I cant see the point of letting people know exactly whether your eating a single patty or double patty whopper and whether you super sized it etc. It all seems like a pointless bit of tech unless your life is brim filled with interesting stuff like some pop star. Still, as far as I can tell you can get your tweets via email, mobile and on a web page and you can also send them with a diverse set of stuff inc mobile devices too. So if your on email then it seems to me (unless I am mistaken) that you can get a twitter account, do nothing with it but sign up for interest in the party log and then all the party updates come through via email. I could email them directly but it allows other lurkers to hitch a ride if they so wish. Its basically solving the broadcast issues for us. If someone doesn't get email at work but does have a mobile then they can be in on it.

The Wiki is very simple. In fact the CWBP is run off a Wiki and IG is main gate keeper to it. Its like making up a web page but instead of all the finicky html coding, all of that is dispensed with and there are a few much simpler codes to remember, most of which you don't even need. So having a simple character sheet is really simple. You go into the wiki, click on "edit this page", change your HP, Stats, Items being carries or number of arms when one gets lopped off and then hit save page and its all done. A wiki is basically a web page that contains some current information. Its better than a forum because as forum entries get old they fall off the bottom but some information is true no matter how old it is. In those situations you need a wiki.

For a character sheet I think we should roll up or use some method of getting your 6 basic ability scores. We should discuss a starting location which as you guessed, if I were GMing, would be somewhere in Thrubland. Make everyone human or possibly halfling and start as hardy peasants who get roped into something adventurous. I.e. we can skip all the skills and stuff until a bit into it so we can rough out how were going to do it more than worrying about character abilities and bonuses. Perhaps beginnings would deal with doing something non monstrous in task and bring that in after a short while. Lets start small. I havent GM'ed for ages, I have never done or GM'ed a PBM type game either so its daunting for me too.

And the office chair... that seems to typify the level of uselessness that Twitter seems to aim for. Its like the guys at MIT or Cornell or something who put a web server in the coke machine so they didnt have to walk down the corridor to see if its out of cans...

EDIT -- I think Korash has the kind of style id aim for. Very loose and Midgards idea of wordy rather than numeric descriptors is right up my street too. The result needs to read like a book we all made up rather than a wargame journal. Just use some D&D to frame it all so that it balances a bit.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-22-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    EDIT -- I think Korash has the kind of style id aim for. Very loose and Midgards idea of wordy rather than numeric descriptors is right up my street too. The result needs to read like a book we all made up rather than a wargame journal. Just use some D&D to frame it all so that it balances a bit.
    Then I might suggest the the bulk of the discussion concerning tactics and such go into an Out of Character post, so that the actual game thread can be filled with a cohesive game narrative hat won't be broken up with chatter that doesn't belong. Then, when it's all said and done, we should have a pretty solid story suitable for publishing somewhere on the site.

Speaking of running games, does everyone here have access to the DDI character builder demo? The demo version makes characters up to 3rd level--for when I run my 4e game in Ansium somewhere.

-IG

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I did at one point, but not here at work. I know I cleaned out my comp a while back so not too sure that I still have it. Will check when I get home and upload if I can.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast