Thread: Map absurdities

Post Map absurdities

"The Ice Krowne has but one coast: the southern coast. It is a phenomenon well known amongst sages, wizards, and other erudites that an ancient magick lies upon all that land, so that, wherever one goes in it, one's lodestone compass will point ever towards the land's far cold middle, thus utterly confounding the usual concept of the four cardinal directions that people are wont to rely on in more reasonable places of the Worlde. In fact, the magick is so strong in the Krowne's deeper reaches that a lodestone becomes fundamentally useless and silly, pointing first this way and then another, as if the very notion of direction itself had no meaning, which obviously cannot be the case, because a man can stand anywhere in the Krowne and look forward, left, right, or backward, as he can do enywhere else -- but he cannot know whether forward is north, or left is south, or which way to face if he would orient himself to the four sides of a map as people understand maps. However, one simple and consistent result of this phenomenon is that one's compass shall point ever away from the coast, no matter which part of the coast one references or approaches; thus, as a whimsical surrender to the absurdity of the situation, all of the Ice Krowne's coast is called the south coast, no matter how blatantly ridiculous the situation might seem to cartographers, who know better, but who cannot explain the matter sufficiently to laymen."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Sounds like one continent located at the north pole and extending south into the temperate regions. Could be kind of fun.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Cool, So the Compass always points inland, regardless of where one might be. Like If the Worlde was Australia, the compass always points to the centre of Australia.

Cooool!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Sounds like a super-continent at one of the poles to me. Not a bad idea and could be fun, as SG said. However, there was a bit of logic in all of that, that didn't add up . . .

. . . because a man can stand anywhere in the Krowne and look forward, left, right, or backward, as he can do enywhere else -- but he cannot know whether forward is north, or left is south, or which way to face if he would orient himself to the four sides of a map as people understand maps . . .
    I didn't find this to necessarily be true. If one knows which direction the sun travels, one could easily determine the conventional cardinal points in a sundial fashion. Alternatively, they could wait until sunset or sunrise to get an approximation of which cardinal direction they are facing. Still, even with that, an interesting concept.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Sounds like a super-continent at one of the poles to me. Not a bad idea and could be fun, as SG said. However, there was a bit of logic in all of that, that didn't add up . . .

I didn't find this to necessarily be true. If one knows which direction the sun travels, one could easily determine the conventional cardinal points in a sundial fashion. Alternatively, they could wait until sunset or sunrise to get an approximation of which cardinal direction they are facing. Still, even with that, an interesting concept.

GW
    What if it is a multi-axis rotation on the planet with noticeable wobble? The sun could always be low on the horizon in a non-periodic path around the sky?

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    What if it is a multi-axis rotation on the planet with noticeable wobble? The sun could always be low on the horizon in a non-periodic path around the sky?
    If the wobble was noticeable, it would be measurable for the most part, or at least I think it would be, thus, one would still be able to get a general idea what direction they were facing. As for a non-periodic rotation . . . Well, that would definitely throw a monkey wrench in the works, wouldn't it? Can you imagine what the weather would be like?

I still like the idea, though. It is odd, unusual, what ever you want to call it, and could prove for some interesting effects.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges