Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful Flickr Aerial England

Post Beautiful Flickr Aerial England

http://www.flickr.com/photos/view_from_above/

Good examples. Great colours.

Damn pretty pictures. I had to share.

Sigurd

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Amazing photo's thanks!
    The Netherlands seems really dull compared to some countries (or at least the nature).
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Great shots for iso maps there. Thanks for posting them. They're definitely getting saved in the inspiration folder.

The Netherlands seems really dull compared to some countries (or at least the nature).
    I have to agree. The land management is brilliant but it creates really boring looking coasts. Unknowingly, they are on a real world crusade against fractals - gotta make things boring.

Maybe that's why the people are so spectacular .
    Last edited by Sigurd; 05-29-2009 at 12:26 PM.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I have to agree. The land management is brilliant but it creates really boring looking coasts. Unknowingly, they are on a real world crusade against fractals - gotta make things boring.
    Yeah, everything is managed over here
    It's not just the coast though. Most of the land is flat and below sea level, almost no hills, lots of polders and all the forests have been planted. Oh, and the whole west part of the country is turning into a metropolis.

Still, it's good place to live in
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Some really cool pics in there...thanks for posting
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    lots of polders and all the forests have been planted.
    This is mostly true about the U.K. too. They were mostly deforested by 1350, and though Charles I tried to save the forests in the 1700s they were almost gone by 1900. Today, the U.K is something like 10% forested, but most of it has been planted since 1900 (when it was 3-4% forested).

Why do you think they invented golf there? The who place was just one giant green for 7 centuries.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

These are great. I collect these things like breathing air so that I can get my colors correct. Thanks a million, I didn't have any good castle shots.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by msa View Post
    This is mostly true about the U.K. too. They were mostly deforested by 1350, and though Charles I tried to save the forests in the 1700s they were almost gone by 1900. Today, the U.K is something like 10% forested, but most of it has been planted since 1900 (when it was 3-4% forested).
    Yeah, true enough. Most of the forests in West Europe have been planted.
    It's just that everything is so managed in the Netherlands... a lot of the landscape is artificial or looks that way. These aerial photos reveal a stunning, natural beauty that unfortunately cannot be really found over here

Or as the famous quote goes:
    "God created the world but the Dutch created the Netherlands."

OK, are we now going to see a few dozen maps with this on it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast