Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thumbnail Scraper for Cartographer's Choice

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nope, came up fairly quickly and without any problems...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lookin good! I shoulda done this a long time ago...

However...what do you think about utilities.cartographersguild.com instead of /utilities

Plus...if possible could you add my google analytics code to the pages?
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

I have changed over the choice and finished and just working on the challengers pages. I have the Ansium tiles and the indexes uploaded but just gotta change the links to them. I have the members map in a cgi-bin but I think you might have to point something adminy at that to turn it into a real cgi-bin dir. Dunno I have always been given mine but then I am cheap and buy only basic package all the time !

I'll look into the google code. Do you know if that changes everytime the page is loaded or is it a fixed bit of html to plug in. I.e. do I have to scrape it each time ? The thing is, every time somebody uses an index they probably go to a proper page through it anyway and I bet your getting more hits because the pages are easier to find now. I'll try but I have to re-implement the scraper scripts yet to write the pages with the new URLs.

Anyway - lots of challenge pages to fix up. Was there any hope of somebody generating the New Challenge Entry thread numbers for all the really old challenges too. We should go back as far as were able.

Edit -- oh yeah and to answer the question (I have a habit of missing that...). I dont think it makes a lot of difference with the domain or sub page thing. Most of the time these are all just links that are hidden behind text labels and thumb images anyway.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-01-2009 at 03:30 PM.

Blog Entries

The google code is fixed...just do a page source on any of these pages and scroll near the bottom and you'll see it, its commented. Just take that whole block and have it dumped into the html at the bottom and analytics will track hits on it. There shouldn't be anything dynamic about it.

I'll see what I can do about getting the utilities cgi-bin working. Even if I have to call the host.

Blog Entries

It appears to be ok actually...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/ut...eInTheWorld.pl

Hmm this is great. If Isomage wants to get in on it then he could put up random mapping stuff like his dungeon and current Traveller things. I have a mini map maker ill bung up too which is ever so simple.

Blog Entries

Well awesome! You've got a blanket statement to setup whatever ya need there then. Just keep me posted if something hugely new goes in there

Imagemagick6 is installed...it should be in the "normal" place...if you don't know where that is, I'll pm it to ya.

Also, later once you get everything up and running right, I'll start the cron thing...and also I should probably put these cool utils on the main menu of the site.

Blog Entries

Also...I was looking at permissions...I think the locations file may need write permissions, but I didn't test it...Anyways, it looks like you got it rockin! Pretty sweet! I'm off for the day...I may check in a little later.

Blog Entries

Wow that would be well cool then. It would be a bit of a burden off my shoulders to not have to keep on top of the thumbs all the time. We could probably do more of them if its was less of a manual effort.

Don't suppose you can host the viewingdale webserver of Ansium then... gotta do that somehow. I'll keep thinking about that one. Actually, while I am here. I didnt get a lot of responses to my RPG in the CWBP post. What do you think. Good idea or might pull in lots of non mappers ? Sorta could do with a spin off domain like the Fantasium Alliance for running the RPG bit. Would make a kind of triangle wouldn't it. Mappers, writers and players.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Also...I was looking at permissions...I think the locations file may need write permissions, but I didn't test it...Anyways, it looks like you got it rockin! Pretty sweet! I'm off for the day...I may check in a little later.
    I have write pems set but I also didnt test it. Ok... where shall I nuke ? How about N Korea since they seem to be asking for it...

Blog Entries

BOOOOM - heh heh yeah it seems to be just fine !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast