Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sea Based Campaign Map

Welcome to the guild, teknohippy. That's a very nice map that deserves some rep! Well done.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

ooo, i really like this map...very simple and elegant, something i sometimes forget about in my work. This is basics at its best, bravo

My suggestions, (and I feel odd making any as I'm a noob too all this), are as follows:

1. Maybe use the circle inside a circle you're using for town locations for only large towns, and just a single black circle for the smaller towns.

2. Bring down the saturation of the whole thing some, it seems too bright.

3. Sometimes I add a color-burned edge around some things like those thicker continent lines to simulate ink bleeding some on the parchment. Parts of it seem to clean.

And I had a question for some of the more experienced map makers here. I see maps like this on rumpled parchment and think to my self, wouldn't the lines bend with the folds of the paper? Is there some way to simulate this without complex 3d rendering or hand drawing every grid line? Does it look worse to do that, even if it might be more "realistic"?

Great map though, makes me want to board a vessel and set sail.

Quote Originally Posted by Still_Pond View Post
    And I had a question for some of the more experienced map makers here. I see maps like this on rumpled parchment and think to my self, wouldn't the lines bend with the folds of the paper? Is there some way to simulate this without complex 3d rendering or hand drawing every grid line? Does it look worse to do that, even if it might be more "realistic"?
    Great map though, makes me want to board a vessel and set sail.
    You could use the displace filter in Photoshop. I actually tried that with this map and didn't like what it did to the text.
    --
    Iain Norman
    teknohippy.net

Nice, I forgot about that filter. I tried it and liked it, but I had to make a bit of a blurry displacement map and adjust the levels or my lines got too jagged. Thanks for the suggestion.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Great maps. I like it a lot.

My one suggestion would be that the crinkeld paper texture underneath is a little sharp - I don't think paper would have quite that surface. Of course now you'll tell me that you scrunched up some paper, photographed it and used that

Great first post - repped and rated. Welcome to the guild.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Of course now you'll tell me that you scrunched up some paper, photographed it and used that
    Only if you really want me to *grins*

It'd have to be fairly thin paper to scrunch like that, about 50-60gsm or there abouts. (Sorry used to be a printer )

We use this as out campaign map, printed out A2 mounted onto 8mm foamex ( a kind of stiff foam board) and laminated.

We stick pins in where we've been and wrap wool lines around them.
    --
    Iain Norman
    teknohippy.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12