Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aeolond - WIP

Post Aeolond - WIP

So this is the map of a new campaign setting of mine - Aeolond.

Before anyone says anything, yes I do know 7 rivers are exiting a single lake and yes I do know in the real world this is not possible. Thankfully, this is a fantasy world! Not that I would ever bank my argument on that . Basically, there's a tiny portal at the bottom of the lake that connects it to the Elemental Plane of Water. The lake is constantly filling with water, hence why the lake survives the attrition of 7 rivers. The rivers are derived from God's original design (which included many other oddities, such as an entire mountain range eternally set on fire). Unfortunately, God killed himself due to a variety of reasons and with him went many of the oddities in the world, save the 7 rivers. Since then, each river has since come to represent one of the 7 columns of faith (aka this world's 10 Commandments).

At any rate... I'm looking for general ideas, criticism and feedback on the map. I know its not perfect but with your help, I'm sure we can get it there!

Thanks in advance for any and all posts!

EDIT: Silly me, I forgot to upload the map
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aeolond2 copy.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	12720  
    Last edited by elemental_elf; 04-24-2009 at 03:43 AM.

Nice map! Have some rep.
    The toned down colors work really well together.

Oh, you do seem to have a lake with multiple rivers exiting, in the real world this isn't possible
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Hey! You have a lake with 7 rivers coming out of it... J/K

I like it. Nice little map with soft, muted colors. Good Job!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

What software did you use to make the map?

Thanks for all your comments and compliments guys!

@Archade: I used Adobe Photoshop CS3

What a wonderful map!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the theory behind the filling up lake but won't it eventually flood the world? Nevertheless, pretty cool plot idea for the history and the map is nice too.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You may wish to add a maelstrom like feature somewhere in the sea, which drains the oceans at about the rate the lake fills them up - otherwise, yes, logically, eventually your entire universe ought to be flooded.

Nice map tho.

Very nice map! If you are looking for suggestions, first thing is to fix that very straight political border. Your roads (I assume they're roads) are very faded, almost lost. I assume that is by design, as we don't want to confuse them for political borders or clash with your washed color scheme. Maybe someone can think of something to make them stand out a little more...
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    What a wonderful map!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I like the theory behind the filling up lake but won't it eventually flood the world? Nevertheless, pretty cool plot idea for the history and the map is nice too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    You may wish to add a maelstrom like feature somewhere in the sea, which drains the oceans at about the rate the lake fills them up - otherwise, yes, logically, eventually your entire universe ought to be flooded.

Nice map tho.
    I had indeed thought of this. However it was simply a portal at the bottom of the sea to the west... I love the idea of making the portal a massive adventure site via a large Maelstrom... Hehe, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Feralspirit View Post
    Very nice map! If you are looking for suggestions, first thing is to fix that very straight political border. Your roads (I assume they're roads) are very faded, almost lost. I assume that is by design, as we don't want to confuse them for political borders or clash with your washed color scheme. Maybe someone can think of something to make them stand out a little more...
    I've heard other comments about the jarring nature of the straight border. It was by no means a true border, just a line of convenience because the border between the Westlands and the Uplands is so fluid.

As for my roads, I would love any advice for them.

Oh yes and this is an updated map. People on another forum wished to see the colors faded to an even grater degree. I took this oppertunity to fix the political border between the Uplands and the Westlands.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A_Newer_Map_of_Aeolond_by_Elemental_Elf.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	12752  
    Last edited by elemental_elf; 04-25-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast