Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World of Kesumi - The Free States

Wip World of Kesumi - The Free States

This is the start of my first "kingdom" map.

The Free States are what is left of the kingdom of Finavarra. About 1200 years ago the last king of Finavarra died without any siblings and no heir. There were some who were more distant cousins, but no clear line for the king. So, in the absence of a clear heir, several came forward to claim the throne. For more than a year there was a series of debates as to who should inherit the throne, but no consensus was reached, and eventually a few tried to take the throne by force of arms.

Within two years a civil war had started, and over the next few decades there was constant warfare. Slowly, it became apparent that no one would become king, so the kingdom soon ceased to exist.

Today, the Free States is a series of petty kingdoms or city states that are often at war with each other to try to increase their territory. At times the warfare has spilled over into some of the surrounding countries, and they have been dragged into the war. For the most part though, that is not too often.

The Free States is still a powerful land because it is a land of abundance. The land is fertile, and the Low Wall mountains as well as the Iraldian Highlands are rich in different minerals. Also, some of the best wines in the Kingdoms come from here.

So it is a land of wealth and danger as petty wars constantly erupt. It is a place where any warrior can find a place to sell his sword, and if he can survive long enough, he can become wealthy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kesumi - The Kingdoms - The Free States.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	764.8 KB 
ID:	13043  

I think your map and its description are very promising The bottom-center especially so, with the short mountain range, hillside forests and rivers. Very visually appealing, and the marshes are a nice touch. But what confuses me is how much that is in contrast with your northern border. Here I can't help but feel a strong sense of repetition in the mountain range, even though on closer inspection it does look very unique. I'm not sure what causes this, but it could be due to its vast length I hope these are among the kind of comments you were looking for. I hope to see more soon!
    Last edited by Kristoni; 05-05-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Clarification

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good so far. I think the thing I like most is the overall shape (or footprint) of the mountain ranges...looks more natural than many things I've seen. The land colors are nice too.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

It's a beautiful map! The concept sounds good, too - although you should be careful: 1200 years is a lot longer than it seems (if, for example, you take the fall of rome to be c. 500 AD, then 1200 years later would be 1700. A lot changed). But that's all I have to complain about, and that's an amazing accomplishment.

The mountains do look very natural; I think it contributed a bit to Kristoni's perception of repetition. Because the northern mountains all seem to...drip downward, it sort of looks like a skeleton of repeating structures, like a very, very long ribcage.

This sounds like a great campaign setting, I'll be looking forward to seeing your other maps of it and reading more about it.
    Both of my main programs are free! Find them here:
    SketchUp 7
    Kerkythea
    Note that you need a SketchUp to Kerkythea exporter, which can be found on the Kerkythea website.

Looking good indeed!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like what I see so far, looking forward to watching it progress.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

As always a very nice map, landorl. Although i like your old style better.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Post A little further along

Still have more work to do, but here is a bit of an update.

Also, here are links to the threads where I have posted my world maps. I have done some revisions to them, so I should repost them.

Global and Continental view

The Kingdoms

Views:	90 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	13092  
    Last edited by landorl; 05-06-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Wip

OK, I have been rather busy and haven't been able to do an update in a while, but here is a new one.

I have changed the colors slightly, and have done a different woodlands style as I wasn't happy with the original one. I like this style, but may change the color.

I have also reduced the symbols size, and the font size a little. Please let me know if the fonts are too small.

Views:	135 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	13897  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like this a lot, very clean and topographical/atlasy (not sure what that style is really called). Fonts and symbols look good to me. If anything, I'd lighten the rivers and darken that red for the borders a lil bit. Nice job tho.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast