Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Wars resources?

I really, really hate to be all gloom on my first post here at this great site, but I needed a give a word of warning to a mentioned site.
    The site Star Wars Deck plans Alliance:
    http://deckplans.00sf.com/Main/Galleries.html
    Is fairly hostile towards people using any of their work and very rarely if at all allow folks to use any of their work on anything.
    (I could point to many sites who have had problems with them).
    I would urge caution against using anything from there other then inspiration.

The folks at Star wars design alliance:
    http://swda.art-of-void.de/index.htm
    Have been very easy going and quite helpful to fans in general.

I have the entire collection of the Old West End games D6 version of the Star Wars RPG if you'd like I could send you some of their maps (no building tile type maps from them I'm sorry to say) and see if there is anything of interest to you.
    Not sure posting those pics here itself is kosher so I will refrain from doing so.
    Last edited by Gamer; 06-04-2009 at 01:52 AM. Reason: opposable thumb stikes..

Dundjinni has some Sci-fi textures and buildings. Just use the search engine in the user forums to find it.
    I'm not getting any results with this, so I think I'm not searching the right term. Could someone give me a link?

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    And don't worry about waiting until something is good enough to post it! Post what you've got and we'll help you fix the things you don't like. No excuses

All right, you asked for it...

Attached are my first attempts at a map, one with a grid for combat, the other without just for flavour's sake. The obvious problems I have with it is the slapdash method of sticking two buildings next to another and calling it one building (something I hope to avoid in the future) and the use of fantasy tokens for players and NPCs. In my defence, my players found this area quite a bit faster than I had expected them to (damn natural 20s on perception checks...) so I kind of had to throw it together quickly.

My main issue is that it looks... well, barren. I know Lok is a desert planet, but there's got to be a way to make the map look more interesting than that.

I know it's pretty slapdash, but it's my first attempt and it's not all that important in the long run anyways. The one I'll really want to work on is a cave dungeon that they'll probably be heading off to some time in the near future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lok Map 1.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	268.0 KB 
ID:	13941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lok Map Combat.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	13942  
    Last edited by darkknight109; 06-05-2009 at 03:47 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darkknight109 View Post
    I'm not getting any results with this, so I think I'm not searching the right term. Could someone give me a link?
    Try this... http://dundjinni.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=14
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by darkknight109 View Post
    Attached are my first attempts at a map, one with a grid for combat, the other without just for flavour's sake. The obvious problems I have with it is the slapdash method of sticking two buildings next to another and calling it one building (something I hope to avoid in the future) and the use of fantasy tokens for players and NPCs. In my defence, my players found this area quite a bit faster than I had expected them to (damn natural 20s on perception checks...) so I kind of had to throw it together quickly.

My main issue is that it looks... well, barren. I know Lok is a desert planet, but there's got to be a way to make the map look more interesting than that.

I know it's pretty slapdash, but it's my first attempt and it's not all that important in the long run anyways. The one I'll really want to work on is a cave dungeon that they'll probably be heading off to some time in the near future.
    I don't see any problems this is a good starter if you remember Deserts are more than just rock drops. here is an image view from the desert http://mayang.com/textures/Architect...ews/index.html
    and here is another one

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_clos...&refnum=598901

as you can see, each of these pictures represents variations in a desert world. Vegetation is a rich depth to add to any map as it can be variable in terms of color and amount. Also desert worlds tend to have exposed rock floors, cliffs and occasional visible craters. Our own planet would have the same if it weren't for the vegetation that covers the planet. Also don't forget the effects wind and water would have on the planet. The tattooine desert scene where we first meet Obi wan kenobi was filmed in a valley bowl that was prehistorically a river bed. Then of course I would also use wind carved rock faces. I foresee this getting better as you become accustomed to the software.

Professional Artist

Post Sci-Fi resources

Heya,

Mayang.com is a GREAT resource. You will need an image editor, but the quality is top notch and I have used the materials amongst the hundreds of layers in some of my map files. I am planning on building a sci-fi/futuristic/tech map texture pack for exactly this purpose...but it's a month or so off. For an idea of what to expect, take a peek at my website: Mapping Adventures or try downloading the SW RPG maps adventures: Dawn of Defiance. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12