Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: May/June Lite Entry: Devil's Head (Working Title)

Blog Entries

Wow. Thank you so much for the effusive praise guys. I know there's an element of encouraging the newbie involved and I appreciate it. I'd do the same in your shoes.

I have done a version with a more subtle compass rose, and one more in keeping with the cartouche. It took some searching to find it as the map that the cartouche came from and others like it seem to have a dearth of compass roses. I guess they'd fallen out of vogue for a time.

Anyhow, I wanted to stay with a Scottish rose, or at least one from the Isles. I found this: http://archivemaps.com/mapco/scotland/compass.htm. The compass is enormous and has insane amounts of detail. Those of you who enjoy staring at currency with a monocle will appreciate it. The compass itself is actually larger than my map before shrinkage. And it's Scottish.

The effect is definitely subtle. Please let me know what you think about this one versus the earlier one.

PS: I changed the hue of the original rose to green of the shade used on the cartouche background like you suggested Ascension, but it still "popped" in spite of the earthier, darker color. That rose was just not meant to blend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kingdom of Faldanore5.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	14002

Blog Entries

I know, I know, I'm like a mother on her daughter's wedding day. I can't stop fussing.

Change to the name plaque, basically making it slightly smaller, but also more shiny. I have three versions of the name plaque in the file and three of the rose, so please let me know if you think and older version is better.

Name:	Kingdom of Faldanore6.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	14007
    Last edited by Immolate; 06-08-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: edited for clarity

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like this gold one.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

A minor comment from me. You have a body of water called "The Deepingvald". That sounds like its the name of a German forest. The suffix "vald"->"wald"="woods/forest".

Doesn't detract from your map any really. Just something that stuck out to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Albrechtw4 View Post
    A minor comment from me. You have a body of water called "The Deepingvald". That sounds like its the name of a German forest. The suffix "vald"->"wald"="woods/forest".

Doesn't detract from your map any really. Just something that stuck out to me.
    In Swedish, våld means "force" or "violence". I wanted to convey a bottomless sea of storms. Most of all, I liked the sound of it

Oh ok, cool. Learned something new.

I think that Ill have some stiff competition. Really nice map..

Blog Entries

This is my final submission. Some minor adjustments.

Name:	Kingdom of Faldanore Final.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	14062

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234