Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dunderhill Island Map

Actually, I didn't do a displace at all - I lightened parts of a cloud layer so as to make out the general shape of the parchment I wanted, then thresholded it, selected the black part and used that as a mask. I wasn't paying much attention to the edges, that's why I have floating parchment. Will fix of course.

As for the rivers, I'm still using the output I got from Wilbur, but this time used my tablet to draw lines on top of them.

Not sure what I'll do about the sea, but I was kindof planning on marking the borders of the duchies and coloring them slightly, so I hope that'll fix it.

Oh, and the waters around Dunderhill actually do have a kraken, so I guess I ought to put in one of those. Heh.

Wip Still not given up on this...

Yeah, well, I figured I'd keep going at this, I still really want a pretty map of Dunderhill.

So here's a new version with much improved mountains, and hand-drawn rivers, and new kind of forest...

You know what to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dunderhill map v5.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	14412  
    Last edited by Alfar; 06-23-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Improved image slightly

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm liking that forest, just darker olive and I think you're good to go.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip Another shot

Trying again... maybe I can reuse the rivers, this is a much better background though.

Name:	Dunderhill1_1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	616.1 KB 
ID:	16620  

Why'd you discard everything again? It was looking good, apart from the rather jarring contrast between the heavily bumped mountains and the rather smooth terrain. I think you need a bit more texture on your dirt/grass. Adding a noise filter or two and a subtle bump map would do wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorus Prime View Post
    Why'd you discard everything again? It was looking good, apart from the rather jarring contrast between the heavily bumped mountains and the rather smooth terrain. I think you need a bit more texture on your dirt/grass. Adding a noise filter or two and a subtle bump map would do wonders.
    Mostly because I was looking for a less dark vision of Dunderhill - it's supposed to be a feel-good fantasy world. I was also trying for a bit more clean map, so it'd be easier to put a lot of labels on it, which is why the bump map that is there is very subtle. In fact, it's most visible in the water, I think.

I'll try noising up the grass stuff, and when I add forests, I hope it won't look too clean.

Wip

I think I'm more or less done with rivers. Used the rivers from Wilbur, did a lot of cleaning, and added a subtle bevel.

Also added more noise and more bump to the land.

Name:	Dunderhill1_2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	516.2 KB 
ID:	16680  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123