Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Artheane

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Karro, I couldn't find the thread where that antiqued version is but I did find a link:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...4&d=1246150120
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Karro, I couldn't find the thread where that antiqued version is but I did find a link:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...4&d=1246150120
    That's good. Glad it's preserved in this thread!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Novice

love the font!

Absolutely beautiful
    Regards,

RK

Blog Entries

Very pretty aesthetically. It has that 'Photoshop airbrushed trying to look vaguely historical and like a satellite view at the same time' look; I can't say I'm particularly a fan of it, but you do it very well.

As a functional map I have a few criticisms though:

The projection/graticule is screwy. Measuring latitude from the equator is just a convention and a fantasy society might measure it from the poles instead (Hmm, an idea, a map where the graticule is labelled in something other than degrees), but even considering that, it's still off. The parallels are evenly spaced and straight, so it would have to be Equidistant Cylindrical, and your map covers a pole: together this should make for significant horizontal distortion, but your map doesn't show any.

The symbology is hard to read and interpret. You have a great deal of visual detail without the meaning being obvious. Boundaries between bio/physiographic regions are fuzzy and broken so it's hard to tell where one ends and another begins. It's not clear if all the green areas are just a generic 'temperate climate' or if the details within them are meant to convey further information. Also the rivers are rather indistinct and hard to follow in light regions. As a pretty background for a map of city locations and country borders, it's great, if maybe a bit distractingly overdetailed, and even then it'd be a good idea to have clearer rivers.

Truely nice map. I prefer the detail "eye candy" style in maps.
    "We might experience some turbulence, then explode." - Mal, Firefly

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I wish you had mentioned that stuff 2 years ago HE
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just keep finding these older threads that are just stunning. Great job Ascension as usual
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I wish you had mentioned that stuff 2 years ago HE
    Sorry, didn't notice it was a necrothread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123