Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Artheane

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Map Artheane

Well this one is done, not much to say about it other than it served its purpose of experimenting, tweaking, and trying out some variations in my secret lab. The mountains didn't come out how I had hoped so I still have some work to do there and the for the fonts I really wanted to stay away from the usual gothic feeling and went art nouveau. If you want to use it for a personal campaign then go right ahead, I can't really stop ya just don't claim that you made it, as I think this is one of my nicer maps. If anyone wants an unlabeled version then I'll put one up in the WIP thread. I had fun with it and I think it came out okay and that's all that matters, isn't it? Enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Artheane-TheAscension.jpg 
Views:	4356 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	13881  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

I think its really great, i wonder if there is a more of a market for more "realistic" type maps like this one as opposed to very stylized maps. I love the color pallet, though the water might benefit from a distinction of "the deeps" and the "the shallows". Just my two cents, good work, keep it up

Praise

This map is actually my favourite of all the maps I have seen on Cartographers' Guild - and I have been blown away from some immense talent...

I would say you are onto something very good here... and I would love to figure out how to emulate the style a bit more...

I think something like this is ultimately what I am after with my map for my rpg campaign and novel about the world of Estea.

Fantastic job!

Phil

Wow, i really like this one. A unique style you have there, Ascension. Rep'd!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

One word... Ascendant! *BONK*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like the trench in the south western desert.

Its a really good example of a 'photo realistic' style but I don't know how realistic it really is. At this scale and distance its seems like there is too much detail.

Looks like a good experiment though. Would be a great map style for a steampunk adventures.

Have some rep.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 06-03-2009 at 08:29 AM.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Great map!!! Personally, the country dividers get in the way of me seeing the detail of the map, but I can always go back to the WIP to get an unobstructed view.

The one thing that really "wow"ed me about this map though(this will seem kind of silly to some) is the raised lettering. This reminds me of old school topo maps, and I really love the effect (now, if only we could get the mountains to do the same thing...)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The raised letters was something that I was shooting for, sort look like it was molded plastic. The pic below is my settings for the layer style. Not much to shout about until the secret ingredient was added...I duplicated the layer. Since I use a lot of blending modes this duplicate layer combined with the lower layer and gave it more contrast with the emboss shadow and the light sand turned kind of white since it is set to screen, the terrain shows thru ever so slightly and gives the lettering a bit of rumpledness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	616.2 KB 
ID:	13901  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Sweet! That is a truly inspirational map! I would rep you but I have to spread it around a bit more.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Very fine map. Color me impressed and consider it saved for inspiration.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast