Thread: G'day

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Post G'day

My first post. I've been making maps for a while and mostly use photoshop - there was an excellent series of video tutorials for fantasy mapping I used recently (URL escapes me at the moment). I mostly do art for self-made print and play board games, but also for friends roleplaying games and my own.

I'm currently looking for modular hex maps in the scale of Mighty Empires, but will probably end up chopping up real maps to get the effect and grading the colours to match - for a solo adventure game similar to Epic Solitaire Notebook Adventures.
    My problem with the Mighty Empire tiles I have is that the colours don't match, and if rotated, you end up with mountains pointing all over the place which doesn't look good on large maps.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well...First post with a map is always worth some rep

Nice map too. I am assuming that The Sharn is a large swamp type place, or else you could be getting cited for the river split before the coast. Looks good all the same.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I am guessing you watched the Zombie Nirvana tutorials by Butch Curry. I must say, though, that this is one of the best maps I've seen come from those tuts. A real piece of art! The hills remind me of the ones in a John Speed map I have hung on my wall, and the raggedness of the lines makes it look like an authentic print from that time period. There is a bit of a mismatch between the line quality of the mountains and that of the forests. The forests look a bit blurry, as though they were scaled up just a little too much.

It lacks a scale, so I'm not sure if the objection to The Sharn "holds water" (pardon the pun) or not. It looks like a delta to me--Louisiana-style bayou. Of course, if it's more than 50 miles or so from coastline to the first branch, then it might be debatable.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 06-03-2009 at 06:21 PM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice

I can't claim credit for the design - it's made from a scan of the GM's hand drawn sketch of the setting for our roleplaying campaign. There are things I'm not happy with it - some bleeding of symbols over rivers and what-not. I based the style on one of the Lord of the Rings maps I'd seen floating about the internet, and the early 19thc? style of colouring areas.

Quick google of "Zombie Nirvana" - yep it was those tutorials alright!

Here's a floor of an inn I'm currently working on for a paper model/roleplaying map for a Fantasy Hero campaign I may be starting soon-

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

I'll start a WIP thread when I get home today (where the rest of the files are) - the idea was/is (baring time constraints as I've got to write a How to Host a Murder within the month) to create a paper model in 25mm scale for the inn. I have also created a 3D model and done some lighting in Lightwave as I want the textures to show the mood - as the scenario is set during a thunderstorm at night, so creepy is a key ingredient.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome to the guild and very nice map there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard! Nicely done stuff you have there.