Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MY FIRST MAP! A simple building/battlemap

Post MY FIRST MAP! A simple building/battlemap

OKAY!

I did it, I made something I am proud of and plan to use!

It started with a Tut, A simple a nice Tut...I like the word Tut..

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2461

Thanks to this man right here, I downloaded gimp for the first time, and went to town!

THIS!

Is the outcome...

I went with something VERY simple, and then once I felt comfortable on my perch. I jumped off the cliff and prayed I could fly. I found out that when just doodleing with snap to grid on it made a nice squiggle effect, I used this to make trees. Then, experimented with the right color shades to be able to reflect grass from tree's without the use of shadows.

Lastly I added colored floors for the building, making this what I am calling a Neo-Classic map! I am just so proud of myself right now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woodland Building.png 
Views:	363 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	16946  
    Sometimes when I feel really alone, I think about how aggravating it would be to have the company of an idiot. Then, everything is okay.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks like a little church of some kind...I can't wait to pillage it with my mates and steal the gold. I mean come for a nice visit and pray respectfully. Clean and simple is highly under-done these days so I say nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Looks like a little church of some kind...I can't wait to pillage it with my mates and steal the gold. I mean come for a nice visit and pray respectfully. Clean and simple is highly under-done these days so I say nice job.

That comment there lets me know I did a good job, also..

How do I rep tutorials? *goes to try and figure it out*
    Sometimes when I feel really alone, I think about how aggravating it would be to have the company of an idiot. Then, everything is okay.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

It's the little balance scale icon under a person's name, just click it on their initial post.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    It's the little balance scale icon under a person's name, just click it on their initial post.
    That just gives the individual who posted it rep, which is nice of course, but to rate a tutorial there is a link at the top of the page when you open it up.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That's a good start!
    and that's a great way of doing trees, I hadn't thought of anything along those lines.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Thanks for the rep. I'm really glad it came in useful - and that's a nice clear map you've got there. Now with that under your belt you're well set to cut a swathe through the forums

Good job.

It looks good. Only thing I would change is to strengthen the grid lines. I have played many miniature games both casually and competitively, and the biggest complaint I have heard is difficult to see grid lines.

Otherwise, well done!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    It looks good. Only thing I would change is to strengthen the grid lines. I have played many miniature games both casually and competitively, and the biggest complaint I have heard is difficult to see grid lines.

Otherwise, well done!

I thought the same thing, but the Fill tool messed it up, by the time I noticed I was so far in I just left it. I am starting work on what will be a Road Ambush map. I hope to make a series of these that are flexible enough to be used in any encounter if need be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast