Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Typhon Class Frigate

Wip Typhon Class Frigate

This is still a very much work in progress. I've have additional details to add to this level and then there are the rest of the levels to do (at least two more and maybe more).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	typhon-v1.jpg 
Views:	1246 
Size:	551.4 KB 
ID:	13918

The circular centre is the command deck (deep within the ship for added protection). The engines at the rear have a minor engineering chamber. The main engineering will be on another level (same with fuel storage). The two chambers between the missile launch chamber and the command deck will house the computer/navigation systems. There are four turbo-lifts in total (two at the command area and one to the north and one to the south of the command area).
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Me likey lots
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looks pretty good
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks guys. I hope to get more work done on it tonight. I keep going back and forth as if the ship is a corvette class or a frigate class. I guess I won't fully know until I'm done all of the layouts.
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Here's the latest WIP. Still have a lot to do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	typhon-v1-2.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	601.7 KB 
ID:	13937

At first the design layout reminded me of a horseshoe crab but now it reminds me of an eyeball.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Thanks Ravi. COTI = Citizens of the Imperium boards? I wasn't sure about them since I'm not really following the Traveller ship construction rules. That's an option I'll have to look in to.
    Cheers,
    Tim

I agree that the ship has a horse shoe crab-like shape. I like it.

--

One question I have: the overall shape is very curved yet the interior rooms and corridors are generally very straight, is this a more efficient use of space?

I'm assuming the ship has a human crew and straight edges makes it easier to stack cargo, equipment, furniture, etc. If I was going for a completely alien design then I might do a more fluid approach to the interior. I've had an idea in the back of my head for a while now for an alien ship with a squid motif.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Just a quick post to mention I haven't forgotten about this project. I was whipping the cartography gnomes to get the work done but then I realized that I needed to capture a few cartography vrusks* for better efficiency.

* Star Frontiers reference for those who aren't familiar with its aliens.
    Last edited by Turgenev; 08-26-2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Explained the vrusk comment ;)
    Cheers,
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast