Thread: Yonshu Island, Kaidan

Post Yonshu Island, Kaidan

Of the three main islands of the Empire of Kaidan, this is the smallest and most western. The entire 3 part mini-campaign arc called The Gift, is set on the island of Yonshu. Beginning at the island and port town of Gaijinoshima, and taking that single marked road from Uesaki, through the central mountain range and forests, to Agoya, then south to Tsue-jo Castle.

This is hand-drawn map, using the original hand-drawn map of Kaidan, while using my Ukiyo-e map objects for mountains, towns, temple and castle. I used the forest from my forest texture in the September 09 Challenge. I used the same font I used in my Genpei War Feb 09 Challenge and similar style and colors.

Although technically All Rights Reserved - call it a Sneak Preview for the main regional map for my Kaidan publication due out the end of the month. So use if you'd like, it will be the overview area, to many more planned maps for the publication. Though it will be a PDF download, I intend to provide maps and objects intended for use in MapTools and other VT apps.

Enjoy!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yonshu.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	13931  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Post Quick update

Forgot a couple things on the last map. I added a few unnamed villages for detail, but I forgot to place the province names. So this is just a quick update!

Enjoy!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yonshu.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	949.6 KB 
ID:	13940  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Ah HAH! So finally we see the Ukioye elements in a map!

Really gorgeous GP! Now I know what you were thinking when you designed the elements.

Have lots of rep...it's a beauty!

Very nice, GP! I'm always in awe of your work. That map deserves some rep.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Bee-yoo-tee-full!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Good work! I like the way those symbols seem to naturally blend with the underlying map, that's something I've found to be lacking in most maps that use drawings for symbols.

Only problem I could notice are the map edges, specifically how some islands/landforms seem to get cut off in there. Adding a more obvious frame might solve this, or perhaps the landforms could be gradually faded toward the map edge? It's not a major fault but kind of annoying to see in an otherwise awesome map.

I'm guessing your setting's oriental then? lol!

Love the map. It provokes images of those plates with the blue pictures that tell a story on them, and I love the bambooesque background. Great stuff.