Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello there

Post Hello there

I'm a dane with a penchant for roleplaying and world building. My current tools for mapping is campaign cartographer combined with paint.net.

For my current fantasy roleplaying campaign, I'm using an alternate Europe as a setting.

As a player handout, I made this map in CC, with the text added in paint.net:
    http://premium1.uploadit.org/rubberd...urope/Map1.png

But joining up, I thought I could spruce it up. So, I started up trying for something like the style in Ascension's "Antique-style maps in Photoshop" tutorial, using the original outline as the baseline, and kinda sorta following the tutorial where I could in paint.net.

Which ended up giving me attachment 1 (map2.png).

But I didn't think it looked quite like what I wanted. A bit too modern. So I tweaked it some more and ended up with attachment 2 (map3.png). Which I'm quite satisfied with. Though I think I might keep tweaking. It's addictive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map2.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	4.26 MB 
ID:	13935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map3.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	4.49 MB 
ID:	13936  

Those are very nice nice, Rubberduck. What is the time period you are playing for your alternate Europe?

We always enjoy seeing new maps, especially with first posts.

Welcome to The Guild.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Thank you

The time period is a mix of stuff between 1600 and 1800, though probably closest to 1600 concerning technology and such. The thirty years' war has just ended, but the French revolution might be just around the corner. And in-setting its only about 1000 years since the fall of their equivalent of the Roman empire.

I am assuming this is done on CC3? IF so, have you thought of merging your two styles together to form a Mercator style?

http://www.princeton.edu/~his291/Jpegs/Mercator_Map.JPG
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Actually, with the new maps, the only thing that was done in CC3 is the shape of the landmass. Everything else was done in paint.net.

I might try out a Mercator map when I have a bit of time.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ahh! Takes me back to the days of my Pseudonapoleonic wargames. I could game there myself.

Welcome, Rubberduck. I like Map 2, but I'm a science philistine who prefers function to form.

Just a couple of queries - I see from the outlines that mapping is imprecise in your game period, but...

You have the Principality of Moldavia shown twice, and the island labelled as Malta looks like Crete. Malta should be much smaller and about where the S of Mediterranean Sea is.
    Are these 'variations' deliberate?
    Last edited by icosahedron; 06-06-2009 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Spelling. What was I thinking?
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Not deliberate I'm afraid. Mistakes in the first map that then got copied to the new ones. The western Moldavia should be Wallachia, and you are correct about Malta/Crete. Thank you for pointing them out.

Blog Entries

If you have any serious upgrades planned for you map, post it in a WIP and let the community help you along. As it is, your "cleaned up" map is SWEET! I love it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good stuff there. That second one, the parchment style, is particularly nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast