Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ink and Parchment Style Regional Map

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Either no glow or a very small one, just enough to "separate it" from the terrain behind it.
    I'll add the various glows to the layer mask on the noise overlay (to remove the coincidental darkening of the glows), then I'll try reducing the opacity on the overlays. I think I'll try to put something cool together for "Nerath-That-Was" to sit on. Maybe like a unfurled pennant flag or something.

I also started putting together some hand-drawn mountains to replace the squiggly lines.

Edit: Made some changes to the map, the pennant thing for "Nerath-That-Was" is ludicrously inappropriate to the style, but it was fun to do and I was bored. I'm still trying to figure out something cool looking to utilize there. I might make some additional thefts from Ascensions Antique Maps...

Oh, and there are cool mountains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MountainsDrawn1.png 
Views:	510 
Size:	940.0 KB 
ID:	13999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ParchmentProgress4.png 
Views:	432 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	14004  
    Last edited by Alecthar; 06-07-2009 at 06:46 PM.
    "Unless I'm allowed to carry around a gun to shoot their giant killer-spiders, Australia needs to stay the hell away from me. Also Australians, who if they have lived this long are obviously agents of the spiders and not to be trusted."

Not sure how much time you want to put into this, but if you want to make each mountain unique, I am working on a similar concept map(started as playing and turned into something I could use). http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3653

If you want some more details, check out the link in my sig.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Not sure how much time you want to put into this, but if you want to make each mountain unique, I am working on a similar concept map(started as playing and turned into something I could use). http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3653

If you want some more details, check out the link in my sig.
    Thanks. I'm definitely going to look into that. Currently I'm using some mountain brushes ironmetal posted as part of his tut on hand-drawn mountains, but my plan is to eventually hand draw complete mountain ranges to scan in.
    "Unless I'm allowed to carry around a gun to shoot their giant killer-spiders, Australia needs to stay the hell away from me. Also Australians, who if they have lived this long are obviously agents of the spiders and not to be trusted."

Did some more work on things, and tried out RobA's older tut on making old paper/parchment type stuff. I like the new look. I think I'm gonna blotch in up a bit more, then get back to work naming everything.

Name:	ParchmentProgress2.png 
Views:	2249 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	14091  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks really nice. The only thing , IMO, is that the ocean waves aren't jiving with the mountains right now. Not real sure about how to to fix that, maybe make the waves smaller, I dunno.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I would go back to the original pattern(I assume it was a tilable texture you made??) Put that on a layer below the land shape and then add a layer mask to mask out portions so they only show up in a few small splotches here and there.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm gonna work on making the texture (yeah, did some waves using the calligraphy tool in Inkscape, brought it into GIMP as a PNG and then cropped it to a square, did a Make Seamless map on it, and scaled it down to work well) look good, but take a look at this in the meantime. The waves are half size, hopefully they challenge the mountains less that way, and I had to duplicate the layer twice, making one a bit blurry, to make the waves a little more clear. I merged them down together, then set it to overlay mode and duplicated that.

Name:	ParchmentProgress3.png 
Views:	312 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	14092  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Lookin very nice there, good job. I like the darker ocean, smaller waves and well, pretty much all of it
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Very nice map.

Maybe work a little with the labels? I know readability is important, but I think it would add to the parchment effect if the text followed the texture of the paper. As it is, it looks like someone put an old map through an inkjet printer and added the labels.
    Maybe just curving the labels will do the trick - the mountain labels that are on a path don't seem to "offend" so much.

Oh, and the ⌘'s do seem rather on the large side.

Nice map...
    Gotta love the ⌘ character.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast