Thread: Hirez map projection conversion using Hugin

Post Hirez map projection conversion using Hugin

Today I was again wrestling with the problem of high resolution projection conversion. Flex Projector doesn't have Azimuthal and other unconventional projections (only the wall-map style), and the output resolution of G.projector is peeteeful. So I was yet again hunting for programs that could convert Equirectangular maps into other projections. Too bad the one particular projection I had decided to use in my current map (Equidistant Azimuthal, which would have been more in-character for the map than Equal Area, which is complex, has lots of maths and is modern. Well, I could use Stereographical again, I guess).

I rediscovered Hugin. Ok, I confess, I knew it existed, and suspected it could do what I wanted, but eh, whatchagonnado? Today I found out it actually had Lambert Equal Area Azimuthal projection, and I really wanted to figure out if this could be what I wanted. After scouring the internet for appropriate tutorials, etc. etc., here is now mine: Naeddyr's High Resolution Map Projection Conversion Tutorial Using Hugin For Unconventional Resolutions! Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newtutorial.png 
Views:	548 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	12017  
    Last edited by Naeddyr; 04-03-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Huge, HUGE potential for this program. Thanks!

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Take a look. The stitching and perspective correction give me ideas.

Sigurd

Hugin is useful for a few things. search the forums. I believe there is one link for stitching scans together, and another to use it correct perspective distortion from a photo in order to make a pattern.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Hugin is useful for a few things. search the forums.

Couldn't find anything with "Hugin" in the search, though.

Personally for me this was a triumph. No more shall I be shackled by the chains of G-Projector's low resolution output when applying Azimuthal Equal Area, Stereographical and other map projections! And Hugin is also the only program I know with Transverse Mercator, which is a kinda neat projection.

Guild Novice

Link

If you are looking for a Photoshop plugin, Flexify can do a large number of projections.

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    Couldn't find anything with "Hugin" in the search, though.

Personally for me this was a triumph. No more shall I be shackled by the chains of G-Projector's low resolution output when applying Azimuthal Equal Area, Stereographical and other map projections! And Hugin is also the only program I know with Transverse Mercator, which is a kinda neat projection.
    Funny.

I get 13 posts:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/se...earchid=360395

-Rob A>

Info

I played with this because of your other post.

To reset the numerical transformation, close the preview and go back to the image tab. You can click reset there (or just type in new numbers!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hugin.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	12084

-Rob A>

I thought this was the answer to my frustrations with FTPro....alas...it chokes and dies on a 30000x15000 bmp.

I'll be trying it out for other things though, so thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
    30000x15000 bmp.

jaysus

But actually, you'd think Hugin would be meant for huge resolutions.

Though rendering my stuff, which usually ends up as a 3000x3000 tiff takes a while, too. So a 30000x15000 map, which is, what, two orders of magnitude huger by pixels, should be plenty enough to clog even the most dedicated puters.

Hi Naeddyr, thanks for the awesome tutorial... I did my map in Mercator (yes, yes, I know, but I really wanted to preserve shapes and directionality, even if the polar areas are ginormous as a result), with rivers, roads, cities and all, and now that I finally put my map through Hugin, lo and behold, all of my temperate countries which I previously thought were okay-sized are now really tiny. But... onto my question.

How do I load a Mercator map into Hugin correctly? I have been using "cylindrical", which gives passably okay but not entirely accurate results. (My maps go up to the Arctic Circle only, which is the same as that on Earth.) Is there another setting I should be using?

Thanks!
    Last edited by kunelor; 06-09-2009 at 12:29 AM.