Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am Lennart, pleased to meet you.

Post I am Lennart, pleased to meet you.

DM: Before you stands a human male, he has wavy dark blond hair and deep dark blue eyes, he seems to be a little over 6’2.50 tall, he should weigh about 198 pound and he seems to be about a quarter of a century old. He is not very muscular but he does have a very tough looking build. He has broad shoulders and a wide chest. At the moment he has a subtle goatee moustache combo, and has some very light subtle scars on his face. On the 1 to 10 scale for handsome he is somewhere around 7.5 to 8.0. He is usually wearing army boots, black jeans, a belt, a black fantasy t-shirt, usually depicting a dragon or a gargoyle or some other manly fantasy creature.
    He looks over the crowd with a big confident smile and waves at them for a sec, and he speaks with a voice that is a bit on the deep side and with a Dutch accent that on several occasion has been described as “Not bad on a girls ears”.

“Hello! Nice to meet you all, my name is Lennart but people who have difficulty pronouncing it usually cal me Len or Lenny. I play Dungeons & Dragons, I read several online comic, R.A. Salvatore and Terry Pratchet, I play fantasy computer games if I can find any good ones but my main hobby is Drawing. I have been interested in fantasy Cartography for a while now, doing my best to make nice maps for the games I DM.”

“At the moment I want to invest some more effort and time in to learning how to make proper maps but I am a bit worried about the very generous use of the words “Photoshop” and “Software” because I am one of those old fashioned kind of artists who does everything with real actual physical pen and paper and right now I’m not sure how much help the guild will be, and how much I can contribute to the guild. I will only use my PC to scan it in and on some occasions where I’m making portrait or a drawing that I don’t take to seriously, I will color it in Ms Pain (t) but that’s about as far as I will go, I have been drawing all my life but I only started taking myself serious as an artist about 8 years ago.”

“well that enough about me, I want to hear more about you people”

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome to the guild. Have no fear about the new school/old school dichotomy, we love hand drawn work as much as software driven stuff...probably more actually. At any rate, the guild serves as a barometer of how you're doing and also catches things that you might overlook as well as providing endless inspiration. So post up what ya got and have fun participating.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well "Lenny", first of all I would like to say welcome to the Guild.

Second thing I feel the need to address is your concern about the use of software in the the creation process. We here at the guild are interested in Maps. Pure and simple. True, most of us use software to compensate for a lack of true talent with a pen, but there are some of us that find some of the routine actions easier on a computer. Where we excel in my opinion, is that we all have an interest in great looking maps and know what what they should look like. Regardless of the style. we love to see styles develope, and while we do seem a bit short on Hand Drawn maps atm, we can help in the C & C department. If we know of a technique, we usually give that along with the suggestions.

Okay, that was a bit long winded for a quick reply....

to sum up, Yes we use a lot of software, but we also love hand drawn work. We are willing to help anyone improve their maps regardless of style or method, as well as drool over a well done piece. Be not self conscious, and post some of your work and see what we offer for yourself.

Again, welcome

:edit: Gotta learn to type faster (or less )
    Last edited by Korash; 06-06-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Ninja'ed!!!
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Well I don’t have a problem with people who use Photoshop, my only problem would be how hard it is to actually compare techniques and further my skill.

And yes, this is a invasion! give us back New Amsterdam!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I wouldn't worry too much there Len, there are nearly ten thousand members here and almost all of us have experience drawing maps by hand when we were younger. Many of us work as professional artists in various forms so we are fully conversant in such things as technical pens and fan brushes as well as 3d modeling and gaussian blurs and even programming and number crunching. The sci-fi guys here also know more physics than I could ever think about. There are numerous members here who actually do the maps that you see in such things as D&D not to mention that the various RPG companies have representatives here. We don't get persnickety here, we try to help each other to get better with constructive criticism and advice while sharing our own insights and theories. There are no rights, there are no wrongs...just different techniques. So poke around and chime in, even if it's just on aesthetics (which is kind of what I try to do mainly...I leave the technical stuff for those who know that better).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Where have you been al my life?

Give us back New Amsterdam indeed!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Welcome to the Guild.

What can I say that others have not already said.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Um...weird introduction, but welcome....we welcome all of every hue and stripe here. Draw with a crayon on your mother's curtain...if it's a nice map, we'll say so. That is who we are and on the basis on which we judge.... a good map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast