Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** June 09 Challenge - A Home Away From Home

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Post *** June 09 Challenge - A Home Away From Home

Start military voice/

Alright maggots! I mean members. I'm in charge of dis month's trainin exerceise. I mean challenge. Dis one is quite simple - draw somethin dat can be used as a home away from home. As Pvt. Talroth says:

Design a home that you can always have access to while traveling on about your adventures. Your home must be able to follow you anywhere in the world your characters can travel, within reason such as trips into caves or similar confined spaces you might not be able to take it. Sailing ship, Airship, Space ship, Winnebago, Yurt, portable hole in space that leads to your back door to the manor house. Whatever you call home it should have an interior layout with details, and optional exterior views.
    Air Marshall Ascension prefers an SR-71 Blackbird as his home but you worms might want somethin more comfortable n roomy so that you can throw yer junk around. You can draw Babba Yaga's chicken-legged walkin house or you can draw some fancy schmancy star cruiser or anythin in between. Heck, you could just draw a bivouac and some sort of magic stone that teleports ya back to it.

I'm lookin fer a good quarter master so I need to see things like latrines, mess halls, bunks, storage, and other such stuff as makes a good base camp, er home. Any genre, any style, any software (or pencil fer dat matter), can be used. Dis one should not have any questions, draw something that you can live in -- pretty simple.

Pvt. Talroth says to give bonus points for backstory and other such filler...he must fancy himself some sort of hoitey-toitey writer-type guy. General Steel has offered up a $35 gift certificate for I.C.E. stuff as a way to motivate y'all. I'll be closin dis here exercise sometime on Sunday da 28th. Dat gives ya three weeks. So git crackin n make dat dream home ya always wanted.

/End military voice

RECAP:
    1. Draw a structure -- house, castle, tent, starship, Winnebago, anything that one can live in.
    2. Devise a plot device for accessing said structure -- magic scroll, teleport stone, really cool whistling, anything really just be creative. Bonus points for story to go along with the entry.
    3. Any genre, any style, any way you want to do it, no rights or wrongs here.
    4. $35 gift certificate for I.C.E. goes to the winner, so take a look at that link and see if you want some of that nice stuff.
    5. Entrants must start a new thread (in the Current Mapping Challenge subforum) and title it "June Entry - insert your title here" without the quotes of course.
    6. Entrants must add the proper tag to a map that they upload so that the program can compile the thumbnail images properly (add this part at the very end of the post):

"### Latest WIP ###" without the quotes of course.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Hmm....very interesting.

Funny, I was just designing a yurt in illustrator to place in an oasis. I think I might deck out the inside and enter it.

Remember that challenge entries must be new creations started after the challenge is posted.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

So... has anyone seen Up seems like a perfect entry for this month's contest.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I had a rather cool idea...small little farmhouse in Kansas, if you get carried off by a tornado then you can use your magic red shoes to get back home...oh wait...
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I had a rather cool idea...small little farmhouse in Kansas, if you get carried off by a tornado then you can use your magic red shoes to get back home...oh wait...
    Bill Stickers must go back home...

...and I am even homemade.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Dorothy Gale, professional assassin. Weapons of choice: house and bucket of water. Never failed a mission.
    Last edited by waldronate; 06-07-2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: @!#)(*& spelling.

ROFLMAO! I smell a new character in a pulp genre game...

Only problem with Dorothy Gail, is she is a bit of an eccentric, refusing to never take on a single mission without her hallmark Ruby Slippers. Some say it's a phobia of hers, believing she puts some sort or 'mystical' power on the slippers, other believe it is an arrogance, that she is better than this give away to her true appearance, others still that the ruby slippers in some contain additional tools of the trade. The truth, only her victims know that.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast