Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maps by Butch Curry

Professional Artist

Thanks! Usually the For Dummies books are pretty good, but at least when it comes to the Adobe products, the Visual Quickstart series really blows them away.

And Bert Monroy's books are all really, really good. He also does a videocast, Pixel Perfect, that I watch religiously. If you can get to any of his seminars, they're worth every penny!
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games
    http://www.zombienirvana.com

Professional Artist

I haven't had a chance to stop in this week, but FCAP #4 is up, and I've posted part 2 of my Photoshop masks tutorial at my site. This one is on vector masks.
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games

Quote Originally Posted by palehorse
    He also does a videocast, Pixel Perfect, that I watch religiously.
    I discovered this videocast when I installed the democracy video player. It was one of the recommended channels...

They are excellent references for photoshop, and I usually find many of the techniques applicable to GIMP as well.

-Rob A>

Professional Artist

[quote="RobA"]
    Quote Originally Posted by palehorse

I discovered this videocast when I installed the democracy video player. It was one of the recommended channels...

They are excellent references for photoshop, and I usually find many of the techniques applicable to GIMP as well.

-Rob A>
    Back in the good ol' days of TechTV, he used to appear weekly (or pretty close to it) on The Screen Savers. What's really cool about Pixel Perfect is that he's gone over some of those same old tutorials, but without the TV time limits, so he can really go into more detail.

If you like Pixel Perfect, you'll enjoy his books, too. They're written in the same conversational style, like he's sitting there with you showing you how he's doing it.
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games

Our friend Butch has not been posting recently here at the Guild, I assume due to (as he explained on the EN World boards) being hard at work at finishing his book, Fantasy Cartography for Photoshop.

I do want to do a reminder point over to his website, though, since he has still been regularly posting video tutorials on his overland map. Check 'em out!

http://www.zombienirvana.com/
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I’m new here and I’m just getting oriented, but I can’t wait to buy this book. The pod cast are great. This is a great board and I can’t wait till I can participate more productively and not just lurk in the shadows.

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    Our friend Butch has not been posting recently here at the Guild, I assume due to (as he explained on the EN World boards) being hard at work at finishing his book, Fantasy Cartography for Photoshop.

I do want to do a reminder point over to his website, though, since he has still been regularly posting video tutorials on his overland map. Check 'em out!

http://www.zombienirvana.com/
    I haven't been posting much anywhere lately! Between the book, the podcast, a lengthy map commission, and most importantly trying to spend as much quality time with my son as possible before he heads off to kindergarten in about a week and a half, I've been pretty swamped.

I'm going to record the next podcast tomorrow, finishing up the map I've been working on since the first episode. After that, I'm taking a 2 week break to clear some things off my plate before starting the next round of podcasts. (Don't be surprised if the 12 weeks on / 2 weeks off thing becomes a regular occurence.)

When my son starts school, weekends will officially become family time, so I'll be recording the podcasts on Mondays starting with episode #13, making them available Monday nights.

I'll try to get back here more often once things quiet down a bit!
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games

I would just like to chime in and say that I have enjoyed your podcasts and found them to be very informative and I look forward to them each week, but I can relate to the family time needs. So please keep the family at the top of the priority list. They are far more important to you than us after all.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I am "bumping" this thread as a reminder. Although it's been awhile since Butch has been in the Guild, his website (www.zombienirvana.com) is more chocked-full than ever with nice Photoshop mapping tutorials on video. As of my typing, he's up to 16 episodes.

These really should be a "must" for any new PS cartographer (Well, actually for any PS cartographer at all! Butch really is a very clever, knowledgable PS user!)
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

It would be worth mentioning also that you can subscribe to his podcasts via YouTube so that you are emailed when new ones go up. That is how I've been keeping up on them at least.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast