Thread: Need some help with a ship's map

Help Need some help with a ship's map

Actually creating a ship map is not TOO hard. Yet I decided for some stupid reason I wanted the ship to be on its side!

The PCs are to descend to the recently sunk ship and salvage some chests.

I decided, because I am stupid sometimes, it would be more interesting if the ship had landed on its side, starboard side up, where the bow's hole that sunk it is very obvious.

So, just how would one go about mapping a ship on its side?

Would you present it as normal looking flat upon the decks?

Would you map it from its side and show the decks as "walls" and the side as the "floor"?

Or would you do something entirely different?

Please, help me Obi Wan Cartographers, you're my only hope!

You've created a big problem for yourself there, because access between 'rooms' can be in any of the surfaces and they are not easily mapped. If 3D is out of the question for you, I'd suggest a view that includes the walls of each room (is it called orthographic? Excuse my lack of cartographic terminology). Like this:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...82&postcount=1

But maybe with the walls more pronounced and using the port side as the 'floor'.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd download SketchUp (free) and snag some of the ships in the forums there. Then rotate said ship onto its side. If the interiors are not complete then you could probably draw something out by hand, scan it, and then import it as an image to be used on a surface. I think you're on the right path tho, treating the floors as walls, but there would be a lot of climbing and jumping and worming your way around as the furniture was often bolted down. Anything not bolted down would be jumbled up in the corners or washed out to sea.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps