Thread: Ghostlord dungeon (RHoD spoilers)

Guild Apprentice

Wip Ghostlord dungeon (RHoD spoilers)

Hi,
    My first map/dungeon attempt made with CC3&DD3.
    (I was wondering whether to put it here, in the dungeon crawl or VTT forum, but it seemed most fitting here. Please move it to a different forum if it fits better there.)

In between exam preparation and lengthy papers I’ve managed to get started on my version of the Ghostlord’s lair from the Red Hand of Doom module for D&D 3.5, based on the original by Mike Schley. http://www.mikeschley.com/projects/g...OfDoomMaps.htm (second from the left, third from the top)

The concept is a stone lion similar to the Sphinx. The outside is solid, weathered granite. The interior is made of heavy stone blocks (I should perhaps use that on the walls too) that I got from Dunjinni forums along with some of the other symbols. The area around is a dry wasteland rid of any vegetation, but I haven't searched for a fitting background yet.

I've put the three floors side by side so they're properly aligned. The single room with the ooze is a 70ft drop from the 2nd floor so it's underground.

No illumination anywhere except what comes from daylight, since I will use it in Fantasy Grounds I won't do much to show the lack of light.
    I used “Dirt Gray 1” for the walls/granite, but I’ll be looking to change it with something else. Shadows and sheet effects are based on the video tutorial, but slightly modified.

As I’ve had more than great problems creating filling I’ve mostly ended up manually creating an inner floor or wall. Almost all the times trying with multipoly, or making a copy and changing it to 0width w/fill style didn’t work or made a mess. The latter almost always gives me a thin black outline even though I believe I do as I’ve read you’re supposed to.

This is very much a WIP, but I won't have much time to play with it for a few weeks to get the remaining exams out of the way…><

Comments, criticism and any helpful tips are more than welcome!
    -Leonal
    Last edited by Leonal; 12-05-2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Deleted the map to avoid any copyright infringements. -Leonal

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Schley is a member here so maybe he will stop by and help ya out a bit, but I say it looks pretty good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

What you got so far is looking good, have some rep.
    I don't have any criticism at the moment. Some of the symbols are a bit small, but I am not sure if you had to shrink the map to keep it managable.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Apprentice

Thanks to both of you.
    That's cool that Schley is a member here too, I really like his maps.

I sized it to 50pixels/5ft square so it won't be overly big when I use it in Fantasy Grounds. Depending on how fast it transfers I might change it to 8bit png during play, although gradients will suffer from that.

Looks good.

A few pointers (not even critiques). When you are making your walls, I can tell you have your line set for a width of maybe 1 or even 0.5, and because your lines are separate entities, you can see where they join.

A few ways to fix this follows.

If you want to do like I do in my Dungeon Maps, you could ensure each line is 'attached' to each other, and then make a multipoly out of them using the multi poly tool.

A second methed is using the LINE -> PATH tool and then COMBINE PATHS tool.

Either works.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for the tips!

I don't know whether I do it wrong or not though. When I try using line to path and then combine paths near the corners of the curved corridor, I tend to get a line across it all from the curve's opposite side.

edit: I tried abit and figured it's because I made each room seperately and the inner walls also caused some mess, so I'm drawing it again and will see how it goes.
    Last edited by Leonal; 05-28-2009 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Figured out some stuff

Guild Apprentice

Wip

(double post)
    Here's an update.

I managed to get the grey walls to work correctly now. I still have to fix some more on the new stone walls though. In several corners I haven't managed to get them to join without lines popping up in unwanted places yet.

Added the fcw file zipped too.

Thanks for any advice. :-)
    Last edited by Steel General; 07-03-2009 at 08:44 AM.

Guild Apprentice

Wip Still working on it.

I've played around with some sheets, made a rather strong bevel on the walls, found some nice effects to create stairs at Dundjinni forums, failed to find a top down model of a lion skeleton (have to create a base of sorts for those), and so on.

Exported to a bigger resolution this time (1sq=100px) so it should be easier to see.

Guild Adept

I was just looking over the map and I have to say that it looks pretty good to me. Thanks for sharing.

Guild Apprentice

Thanks norgroth!

I finally managed to get the walls in the curved corridor (left) fixed too. I exploded them, made the connecting horizontal walls into two parts and the did line to path on the curved sections and one piece of horizontal connecting wall. Since the horizontal wall was split in two you can't see the joints, and it didn't turn into a bunch of funky lines.^^

It will hopefully be used next week when my group will venture further into the stone lion.

edit: I added some glow to get an outline on the walls. Think it looks better now.