Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argontath - Northern Hemisphere (Hand Drawn)

Map Argontath - Northern Hemisphere (Hand Drawn)

Well, I tried scanning a very old hand drawn map and could only get the northern reaches. The hand drawn map I have is about 5 feet by 3 feet large and the scanner I have is small and I didn't wish to fold the map up just the get it to fit. So here is the Northern Hemisphere of Argontath.

I am still in the process of creating the world map on the computer (CC3) and it is a very large undertaking for someone who is still learning the intricacies of the program. Feel free to rip my rivers to shreds and reduce my mountain ranges to rubble. LOL!!!

Thanks!

~Valtharius the Mad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northern Hemisphere.gif 
Views:	1683 
Size:	4.77 MB 
ID:	14017  
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Argontath Map Finished Thread

My Flash Website! - Welcome to Argontath

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice! Looks like somebody's got some really good hand writing or calligraphic skills
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

That is awesome. I'd love to be able to do a hand-drawn map of that calibre. Especially the labelling which looks fantabulous.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Great map Valtharius. I like your style and colors. The forests are very pretty. Some of your rivers are a bit of a mess though They are forking or flowing in the wrong direction.

Ah well, great map anyway. Have some rep.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Gandwarf... thank you for ripping my rivers. LOL Working on the new maps in CC3 I have corrected the forking and flowing problems as well as deleting the waterfalls that flow up instead of down. Heheheheh... Rivers can be a real pain, but now that I know the rules they look much better. I am seeing if I can locate a scanner that can handle a large map. I'd really like to put the whole thing into .jpg format.

Thanks for all the comments!

~Valtharius the Mad

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'll just add in my "coolness" cuz I think this is pretty cool...love the marker overlap coloring in the ocean.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Valtharius View Post
    Gandwarf... thank you for ripping my rivers. LOL
    Yeah, no problem. You even asked for it

/Gandwarf the Purple
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I'm curious, the larger lettering, was that stenciled and then colored?
    "Unless I'm allowed to carry around a gun to shoot their giant killer-spiders, Australia needs to stay the hell away from me. Also Australians, who if they have lived this long are obviously agents of the spiders and not to be trusted."

I was lucky enough to have taken calligraphy in college but my hand is a bit shaky nowadays since I am old. Heheheheeh All the letters for each font on the map were first done on an old style transparent applique and then photostatted (before real photocopy machines) to another appliques... I think about 200 of them. This was done back in the early 80's. I had them stored in an old box and found them around 1992 or 93 and decided to take on the time consuming task of placing them on the map before placing any map symbols. Now I can use a computer to design a font I want. =) Problem is, my printer doesn't use 3'x5' paper. lol

~Valtharius the Mad

Very nice!

If you have a tripod and a camera, I'd suggest taking a bunch of overlapping shots then using hugin to stitch them http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/scans/en.shtml

(The link is for flat scans, but you can do the same thing with camera images, as hugin will correct the barrel distortion for youo knowing the exif data).

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast