Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: June 2009 Entry: Assassin's Lair

Wip June 2009 Entry: Assassin's Lair

Not that I need to participate in nor have time for another challenge, the subject intrigues me. Plus, I seldom do hand-drawn encounter scale maps, I usually do that for regional maps. So as an experiment, I am doing a detailed lair of an assassin, all hand-drawn.

Life as a man-slayer is both lonely and secretive, especially for those who worship, Cerene, the God of Death. He follows no guild and is always in need of safe house to keep aside the tools of the trade and a place to escape when the authorities are too close.

The Amulet of Cerene is a pendant of thirteen jewels set in a curious pattern that actually depicts the layout of the Assassin's Lair itself. At the center is a ruby that represents the entry/exit portal to the actual lair, as life begins and ends in blood. Four square bloodstones surround that represent the halls to the outer chambers and manifests greater arcane enhancement to the Amulet itself. (Darkovian bloodstones of the CWBP).

Black diamonds represent the chambers beyond the ruby entry stone.

The amulet hangs from a gold chain worn around the assassin's neck. Bringing one's right hand to enclose the amulet, an activation word is uttered silently and one is immediately transported to the lair itself, disappearing from whereever one is, to an extra dimensional space located within the solid rock of a mountain itself.

More coming soon.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cerene.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	354.2 KB 
ID:	14028  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-09-2009 at 01:50 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Cool idea man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip Chapel - first chamber

All I can get done tonight, got 3 commissions to work on.

The Chapel, the first of the nine chambers of the Assassin's Lair. This contains the statued altar to Cerene the God of Death.

More tomorrow!

GP

Name:	cerene-map.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	14046  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

I love the map and the idea! Well done!

Wip Quick update

Thanks, Lich!

OK, one quick update before I call it a night for this project...

I added the beginning of the dojo training chamber on the opposite side from the Chapel of Cerene. At the center I placed the Entry/Exit portal. Oh and changed the title font to the same as the Amulet of Cerene (its called Warlock).

That's it for now.

GP

Views:	176 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	14060  
    DrivethruRPG store

Very cool. Looking forward to the finished product. The only other comment I have is that I kind of liked the other font better. Warlock seems a little too "clean" compared to the rest of the hand drawn map.

Blog Entries

I saw a piece like that somewhere in my stock pile... now where did I put that...

Here it is!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amulet.png 
Views:	703 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	14061

Just kidding. Your description inspired me.

Personaly i like the new "warlock" font more i tihnk it's cleaner and i think that suits the writing of an assassin

Wip Last update until tomorrow!

Both of you have good points on which is the best font. For now I'm sticking with Warlock, instead of "Elric" the other font, which is difficult to read. I might review this at the end and make a final decision then.

I got stuck on what to do for a training room, lots of possibilities like a combat dummy or punching block seemed less obvious from a topdown perspective. So I decided to work on the border, legend, room description.

Then it dawned on my that this is a highly magic strong environment, so why not an Illusionary Monk Combatant. A sometimes sparring partner, or practice for taking down a "mark". Notice that he's slightly translucent to give that "illusionary" effect.

I'll also place a weapons rack, archery target on the far left wall of the training dojo, to finish that off.

Oh, and in the Chapel, those two round things are incense decanter stone bowls. I opted not to place any "incense smoke" as I thought it would detract from clear view of the Chapel.

Before the end, I plan to place some illustrations to fill the dead spaces. An assassin's dagger between the two text blocks and a coiled garrote in the top left corner.

That's it for now. The room list should show what's coming up, and the room number guide is in the bottom left corner. Also threw in a scale describing chamber size, so one could easily use the floor stones as a grid, or easily convert to VTT without an obvious grid.

That's it for tonight. More tomorrow!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	171 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	14067  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-10-2009 at 03:52 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

neat stuff GP! I love how you detail the rest of the stuff and not just the assassins lair!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast