Thread: Photoshop Mapping.

Help Photoshop Mapping.

Hello everyone,
    I'm so stuck with photoshop and creating maps, it's just one thing that stops me from doing it, and its the very start
    I dont understand this -
    2. First off, let’s set up the document: 2000 X 2000 at 300 ppi, rgb mode, 8 bit. Set colors to black and white. Filter > Render > Clouds ((pic antique 1)). Copy this layer. Create a new blank layer. Edit > Fill = 50% gray. On the layers palette, set the mode to Hard Mix, this gives us a black and white interpretation of the underlying clouds

When it says Copy This Layer, does that mean i just copy everything thats in that layer with the Rectangular Marquee tool and then create a new layer then Edit>Fill? = 50% grey. When i do that, nothing comes up in my new layer?

Please help a newbie out!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It means duplicate the layer. On the layers palette (not the image itself), click, hold, and drag the layer to the lil square within a square thingie at the bottom of the layer palette (there are some lil icons across the bottom; a black circle with a calligraphic f for layer styles, a gray square with white circle for layer masks, a folder for grouping layers, a half black and white circle for adjustment layers, a square within a square to create a new layer, and a trash can). I should really change that word one of these days.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Oh thank you,
    I love your tutorials too!

And if you have an active selection when you Ctrl-J, it will copy just that selection to a new layer.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name